A recently found 40 years exposed film.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RSilva, Jan 14, 2013.

1. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I would like to share with you some images from a 135mm roll film I found in the attic and that I developed at home recently.
    I started with a clip section of the end of the film in order to fine tune the development.
    I will develop the rest of the film very soon.
    What do you think?

This is old Ilford FP4 film + stock development in rodinal 1:25 with a 50% increase in development time.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very interesting!
  3. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I think you did a great job. No. 1 has more contrast. Is this because of the paper?
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's like the photo equivalent of cave paintings, and that includes choice of subject. I wonder how well a 40 year old SD card will hold up.
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Interesting stuff. I am a bit surprised that you got more than just fog. Looks like someone took a trip to Africa.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I wonder if in 40 years, someone will find a Compact Flash card full of pictures but not a reader to be found to view them....:biggrin:

Seriously though, - nice find! :smile:
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    strange timing with your find.

Just today, my wife sent me a link to something on an MSN page about someone who paid $100 for an antique camera. It was a camera made in 1901, but when he cleaned it up, he found inside it developed negatives from WWI. He wasn't sure why once the film was developed that they returned the roll of film to the camera, but he was happy that they did. I have old processed negatives that date back to the late 50's. I am scanning them and then throwing out the negatives. My daughter in law looked at those boxes of film, and once commented on her being the one who had to go through them when I was gone. So far I have sorted through 15,000 negatives and scanned over 8,000 of those. Sad thing is I since have located another large batch of negatives that I still need to scan.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Good luck finding a reader...
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I have a much less than 40yr old SD card where the plastic case split in half on the seam...
  10. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    You're a brave soul to develop 40 year old film. Good thing rodinal is still the same :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I guess it is because they are the last two pictures on the end of the film. I hope to get better pictures from the middle frames.

I also started scanning old neg's, it´s always nice to rediscover all does nice memories.
  12. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I think in 40 years I would lose the sd card somewhere lol!
  13. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    You dont have to worry about losing them, they prolly wdnt work anymore after 10years (or maybe less)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

What's the best way to do this? I inherited my grandfather's extremely large train photo collection when he pasted in the early 90's and want to digitally preserve them before more get ruined (A bunch got placed in the backyard at some point and it rained and stuff on them. Some are moldy and stuck together, photos, negatives, and glass plates.)
  15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I developed a roll of baby pictures of myself at 10 months old, about 40 years after they were shot. The camera went into the back of a drawer in my father's dresser and was forgotten about until he passed away. There was a bit of environmental fog, but the shots printed on a grade 3 paper. It all depends on the conditions they were stored. Congrats. Very interesting.
  16. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Mold is tough to deal with. I lost about 90% of my life story a few decades ago because of damp storage in an apartment complex.

If you can salvage the glass plates, see if you can get (eBay, Goodwill?) an old Microtek 300 or 600 dpi scanner that has a lighted top cover. Those old glass plates were large, so you don't really need to get too excessive with DPI. Even at 300 DPI you'll have a really big file. I used VueScan, and had it take several passes per plate to extract the really dark parts of the negative.

If the glass is stuck to paper and negs, the only marginally "safe" thing I can think of is a soak in distilled water, then see if the stuck-together things can be GENTLY separated. You don't want to peel the emulsion off the glass. The negs, if the mold is really bad, may have been "eaten" by the mold.
  17. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've got an Epson scanner that'll do slides and negatives. I just need to get it from my brother. I think it's got a lighted lid. I don't remember if the glass plates were of the placed in the back yard lot, but there are negatives, slides and photos that were. And many of the slides are now blank. So much lost because someone just didn't care, or thought things through.