A Real GX7 Annoyance

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ripgriffith, Jun 7, 2015.

1. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    My preferred mode of shooting with my GX7 is, among other selections, to have the camera set to AFC and AF Spot. However, the AF Spot setting, on half-press, brings up a magnified center section of the frame as though the camera were set to manual focus. Am I missing something? Have I miss-set something else? Everything to do with this seems to be set correctly. If this is how the camera is deigned, is there a work-around? Of course, I can see the need for this, but only if I choose it. I need to add, this is with all lenses.
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm guessing you mean pinpoint focus. I'm not sure if the magnification can be disabled, but yes, it will magnify and focus on whatever tiny spot you choose. An alternative is to use 1-area focus and make the focus box as small as possible. This might meet your needs better. My guess is that 1-area is actually what you are looking for. Although the name is confusing, Pinpoint is fairly specialized and seems designed for macro or razor thin DoF shooting. A bonus with 1-area is that you can turn on touch focus and use the blank screen to move the focus point while you use the EVF (Tilt the EVF up just a bit so your cheek doesn't move the focus point inadvertently). If it magnifies when using 1-area, then it can be disabled for sure (but I don't recall how) Hope that helps.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    When I set my GX7 to AFC, pinpoint focus is not available, so I don't think that is the issue. When I'm in AFC and choose 1-area focusing, I do not get the magnified area you are experiencing. Perhaps you can give us some more information including what you mean by AF Spot.
  4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014

It sound like you are using the focus adjustment after autofocus feature.

If you autofocus and then touch the manual focus ring the magnifier pops up to allow you to tweak the focus manually. That can be turned off in the menu system, or don't touch the focus ring.

5. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    No, this is not the case. I have that turned off. It's the function of the pinpoint focus, apparently built into the firmware. I can certainly see its use in macro, but I would like to have control over it. However, as suggested above, switching to single-area focus serves me almost as well.