A quick question regarding the GX7...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dissembled, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    How does one change the AF point using the directional buttons WITHOUT permanently deactivating the functions mapped to the cursor buttons?

On a similar note, does one just touch the screen to change the AF point or do you need to press something first?

Also wondering why the red card access icon appears on my camera during bootup and shut down. Is this normal?

Keep in mind though that I don't own a lens yet but am hoping to add the PL 25 in the near future.

Thanks!

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You need to turn off the directional button to activate the D-pad button function.

Just touch the screen to change the AF point, push the DISP button make the AF point back to the center or using D-pad to move around or push Menu/Set to exit the touch AF.

I think the camera just reading card power up/shut down, my GX7 does that too, I don't see any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks a lot.

To clarify though, the functions of the directional pad are permanently disabled if they're used to change the AF point, right? A bit of a disappointment in my eyes.

4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    You also stated that one can change the AF point after touching the screen using the directional buttons. Can the functions of the directional buttons be retained after pressing the set button (to confirm the AF point)?

Many thanks.

5. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Halle-freakin-lujah. Found a way to use the directional pad to move the AF point and have them retain their functions! I simply mapped a function button to select the location of the AF point. That option is located in either the second or third page of the FN button selection screens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Click left cursor > down cursor to activate AF point adjustment with 4-way buttons. Deactivate it with shutter button. You are now back to 4-way functions.

• Like Like x 4
  7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thank you sir, that is a very helpful tip?

Any more like that? I'm going to try the back button continuous ad trick too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have been trying back button AF too for the past few weeks. It works well and has some advantages. BUT from time to time I forget to BBAF and take the shot with no focus. aargh!

Two more 'helpful tips' that I use a lot:

[1] assign the Silent mode to the wifi button. I use it a lot to quickly go to silent shooting, then quickly go back.

[2] Like me, a lot of people don't use touch screen for general shooting, because it tends to move the AF point when you aren't looking. So I have taken my most common/favourite camera setup, then turned on Touch screen, and saved this to C1 Mode. Now I can quickly turn to C1 and use Touch screen, including that fabulous trick of look through the EVF and move the AF point around by sliding your thumb on the back screen. Delicious!

9. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Can you tell me the settings for moving the Af point with touch screen? I'll have to try that.

10. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    Sorry for OT...

@ sgreszcz
    Don't you read your private messages...?

Tom

11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Another quick Gx7 question. Can you develop RAW files in-camera like is possible with the LX100 (or Olympus cameras)? I haven't been able to find that function in the menus (at least as it is called in the LX100).

I was hoping to shoot only RAW and then do a convert in camera to JPEG if I want to transfer a picture off quickly via WiFi.

12. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've realized that moving the AF point with the touch screen is so much easier! I love that feature and I wish all cameras incorporate it. I compose solely with the LCD screen, however, so accidental presses are not an issue for me.

Anyway, I'm loving my GX7 and Olympus 25/1.8 combo! 1x1 ratio here at last. (I also own a Nex 6 which doesn't provide a square aspect ratio option.)

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ah, so that's the point of in-camera raw conversion!! I never understood the point before. It's still no use to me since I never feel the need to send someone a photograph quickly from my "proper" camera. If I want to send a quick snap, I'll use the smartphone.

14. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Another question, guys.

Does the EVF consume more battery than the LCD screen? I'm used to composing with the LCD screen but the tilting EVF keeps tempting me.

15. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    The EVF uses less power than the LCD screen.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I should have the P14-42 II in my hands within the next few days. A question though. Will I have to disable IBIS via menu since the lens has OIS ?

Also wondering how to enable the menu setting that allows for touch focus while using the EVF.

Many thanks.

17. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    No, the GX7 does it automatically - the lens OIS (with an OIS lens obviously) automatically overrides the IBIS

• Like Like x 1