1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A quick legacy glass question if you please

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Droogie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Found two legacy lenses online, screaming deal but I want only one for my EPL2 . . . but which one?

Minolta MD Rokkor X 50mm 1:1.4 (what mount is this?)

or

Auto Chinon 50mm 1:1.9 (I know this is a PK mount)

Any thoughts?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Minolta is MD/MC mount when looking at adapters. I believe technically they are SR mount, but most refer to it as MD/MC. The Minolta is generally considered very good, if condition is same. Don't know about the other, although slower 50's are usually smaller and sharper.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If I recall history, the Chinon is a very cheap, made for the masses, lens. The Rokkor is a real lens made for photography.

Gary

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 on the Rokkor-X, have not used that specific model but they have a great reputation. Also the difference in max aperture is nearly a full stop which might come in handy on occasion.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Rokkor without question.

I have a Chinon flash which I love, but that's as far as I want to go with them. ;)

6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Excellent

This helps a lot, both lenses are under $15 ea, plus only about 20 minutes away by car to check out. The Minolta seems the winner.

Thanks

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If it's roughly the same price, f/1.4 vs. f/1.9? Just make sure that Rokkor is in good condition.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Chinon is one of the many 3rd party lens brands back in the day. They were not the worst lenses but in the bottom half of aftermarket IMHO. The Rokkor on the other hand was one of Minolta's best lenses from what I understand. Even if that one was Minolta's worst it would be as good or better than the other one.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

Technically the "MC" and "MD" designations refer to the meter coupling rather than the mounting flange spec. Common usage has condensed "SR mount with Meter Coupling" to "MC" and "SR mount with Meter coupling, Dual mode" to "MD". Third-party vendors selling items compatible with both meter coupling variants, and by extension the uncoupled "SR" mount, generally use a "MC/MD" or "MD/MC" designation whether or not there is any meter coupling. Properly made adapters labeled for MC and MD lenses will adapt any MC, MD, or uncoupled SR mount lens.

BTW, while Chinon is not known for making particularily great lenses, the 50mm f/1.9 might prove rather good. Design and execution of this class of lens was reasonably easy and inexpensive at that period. It was with wide-angles and zooms that Chinon's offerings were largely marginal in image quality.

10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    This is great info everyone, thanks. I use some of my existing Pentax legacy glass off my K1000 and love them. However I do occasionally run across other brands at local garage and estate sales (a nice Cosina recently) and the prices all seem to be around $20. Lately though I'm wanting to try some of the 50mm models from other manufacturers and these two popped up on Craigs List. Still hunting for that Canon "Nifty Fifty". Also would love to find a nice macro.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Those Rokkor 1.4s usually go for $70-$100 on ebay, so that's an awesome deal!