A Quick Excursion to the Phone Shop

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I broke the screen of my phone recently, and so yesterday made a rare excursion to the city of Saintes to have it repaired. It was a sunny afternoon, and I took the GM5 with me - just in case I found something to photograph. I've not been much to Saintes before, even though it's only 15 mins away, as I've been rather busy since we moved four months ago with drills, cement, chop-saws and so on. Being in unfamiliar territory I looked up the best place to park before going, and having arrived, followed the path out of the carpark, and then went along an uphill lane for a 100 yards before I saw this over the rise.

1 (6).jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is St Peters' Cathedral, and a mighty fine view it was. I followed the little path as it made its way downhill into the old part of town, where the phone repair shop was.

P1000585.jpeg

There was a great deal to see along the way, including the municipal library (another day) and an open stone-masons shop where they were sculpting bits for the cathedral and other buildings - it was very dim and no visitors were allowed inside yesterday. I need to go back and visit when they are allowed, with a fast prime to make the most of it.

Along the way, I became aware that there were some fabulous houses tucked away in the old streets.

1 (5).jpeg

Along with another view of the cathedral here and there.

1.jpeg

I stopped off at the shop, dropped off the phone and had ten minutes to wait while the screen was replaced. GM5 still in one hand, I was obviously drawn to the cathedral like a moth to a candle, and I fired off several more frames :)

1 (2)_HDR.jpeg

Back to the shop, and €80 lighter I went back up the hill to the car.

1 (3).jpeg

It was a lovely stroll back up the hill. It's something I'll have to do again with the GX8 and a tripod perhaps, before the summer ends. If you ever come to southwest France I can highly recommend a visit to Saintes - there's a complete Roman amphitheatre there, too. I think it's the only one outside of Rome to survive in good condition. Make sure you let me know you're coming, I'd love to show you around,

1 (1).jpeg

Hope you enjoyed the stroll.

Last edited:

golftango

Mu-43 Regular
Amazing! What is the age of these buildings, in particular the cathedral?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Amazing! What is the age of these buildings, in particular the cathedral?
Looks like the cathedral has a long history. I recommend clicking on the wikipedia link provided in the OP's post and all will be revealed. :)

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
I love the cathedrals. And all the old buildings all over Europe. Never been to France but for a quick trip to Paris. And a trip to Normandy. A beautiful country!

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Very nice to see from another part of this world. Beautiful shots and love the buildings and scenery.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I love the cathedrals. And all the old buildings all over Europe. Never been to France but for a quick trip to Paris. And a trip to Normandy. A beautiful country!
This is plainly a falsehood. You visit EVERY house, village, town and city in France at least once a year, surely? Or is the whole thing a lie? Huh? HUH?

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
This is plainly a falsehood. You visit EVERY house, village, town and city in France at least once a year, surely? Or is the whole thing a lie? Huh? HUH?

You called me out Roddy. A good one! I thought I could hide my real travels at the end of the year. But other than that my statement applies!

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Heavens forbid, but I'm sort of glad you broke your phone ;) Just love these, fantastic and congrats on the home page.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've never had a smartphone, but if I ever did buy one, you guys definitely wouldn't want to see what my 15 minute walk to the store is like. But of course all the more reason to make photos of the excursion and post them here.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I've never had a smartphone, but if I ever did buy one, you guys definitely wouldn't want to see what my 15 minute walk to the store is like. But of course all the more reason to make photos of the excursion and post them here.
Is your 15-minute walk more like a six-hour trudge through snow with snow-shoes on and a rack of wolverine skins over one shoulder? :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom