A question to those of you who use the EC14/EC20 on 4/3 lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ijm5012, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    When you have the TC mounted to your lens & camera, does your EXIF data reflect the longer focal length & decreased aperture?

I have a 50-200 & EC14, but when it's mounted the EXIF reports the data as if the TC wasn't mounted (so instead of showing 280mm f/5.0, it'll show 200mm f/3.5). Is this the case for everyone? The reason I ask is because I know with the new 40-150 PRO, it will report whether or not the TC was used in the EXIF data, and use the corresponding focal length & aperture value.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My 50-200 with MMF3 and EC-14 provides the correct aperture and focal length (282 and F4.9 if I'm not mistaken) on my E-M1. The 150/2.0 also reports adjusted focal length and aperture correctly. Is it seated properly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, it's seated properly (I get the longer reach with it attached, it "clicks" in to place as the pins lock).

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? I also wonder if it's an issue with me using a Panasonic body rather than an Olympus body (although it shouldn't be).

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The teleconverters short one or two pins on the mount, if the pins are not working the camera won't detect the teleconverter. I forget which pins they are, I think it was the last two on 4/3 which are the 5th and 4th in on m4/3... I think, it's been a while. One shorted is the EC-14, two is the EC-20, and both is the extension tube.

...this is just going off memory, I can't remember other details about the protocol however I would check the pins to make sure they're clean.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Also, make sure the firmware on the teleconverter is updated, there was a bug with the extension tube and the EC-14 which prevented the camera detecting the lens (IIRC the EC-20 wasn't effected).

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It works correctly for me for both my EC's and both my lenses on my EM1. I actually wonder if it's because it's a Panny camera. Anyone have 4/3 gear and a Panny camera to test this on? While I understand that the m4/3 gear is interchangeable, I also can see where Panny (who has no teleconvertors) could not have provided support for 4/3s gear.

OP, do you have both ECs and if so do you have the same result with both.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Panasonic worked just fine with 4/3 and teleconverters, assuming the firmware is up to date. I've never tested with a Panasonic m4/3 body however.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Does anybody know how to check the firmware of the TC? Is it just as simple as attaching the TC on the camera and turning it on, just like you would check lens firmware? The only potential problem I see is that if it's not already recognizing the TC to take photos, would it recognize it to check the FW version?

Also, it appears as if there is no FW to be downloaded for the EC14 from Olympus' website http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_downloads.asp?id=1329&os=w

EDIT: NVM, I've found it. I'll have to give it a try when I get home tonight to see if this fixes the issue. (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/pana/ec14.cfm)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Good tip. I should mount my 50-200 lens and EC14 and check the firmware.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I looked, there are no firmware updates for either. If there are I could not find them.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well, no worries for me then. :)

14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Well, I'm thoroughly perplexed. If I attach the 50-200 to my GH4 and check the settings, I see a lens FW version 1.1 (the most recent version). However when I throw the EC14 on and do the same thing, it doesn't show any option for the TC's FW version.

I should note that the TC functions as it should, as the image is magnified (as it should be, since it's optical), and the ISO increases by a stop when maintaining the same aperture and shutter speed (accounting for the 1-stop loss of light that doesn't show up on the camera or in the EXIF data). However the aperture stays at f/2.8-3.5 for the given focal length, and the presence of the TC is neglected in the EXIF data.

It seems that no users here have come across this issue, as most users using 4/3 lenses are shooting them on Olympus bodies. I guess I'll have to send an email off to Panasonic to see what they offer up.

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Or the contacts in your TC are not working correctly.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So, I have an update on this saga:

I sent the below email to Panasonic technical support earlier this week.

"Hello,

I'm having an issue with my EC-14 and 50-200 on my GH4. I own a GH4, and just purchased a 50-200 with an MMF-3 & EC-14. The lens works fine when on the MMF-3, however when I attach the EC-14, the aperture value does not update to reflect the 1-stop loss of light, and the EXIF information makes no mention of the presence of the EC-14. I get the greater magnification with the EC-14 attached, as well as a 1-stop increase in ISO, but no change in the aperture value.

I see that there is a firmware 1.1 available for the EC-14, however when I attach the MMF-3, EC-14, and 50-200 on my GH4, I can check the body and lens firmware versions, but it does not show the firmware version for the EC-14."​

Well, Panasonic's support was less than helpful, as their response read:

"Good Evening,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the issue you are experiencing with using your lens with the DMC-GH4. We would be more than happy to assist with your query. You would be required to speak with Olympus to verify if there is an update for the EC-14 and what steps to take to update the system.

We hope this information is helpful."

No, your information was not helpful. So I emailed Olympus the same thing I sent to Panasonic, and got this resonse:

"Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.

Please note that attaching two or more adapters between the camera body and the lens is not recommended for this camera or with Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras. For example, you can use the MMF-3 with most 4/3 lenses, but we do not recommend using the MMF-3 along the EC-14, or EX-25, or EC-20. Even in the E-system 4/3 cameras, the stacking of more than one adapter or tube is not supported or recommended, therefore use may be possible to use but at your own risk. Please refer to the following web page table for more information:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/products/em5/#06

In regards to updating the EC-14 firmware, please note that this firmware became available in Dec. 2004, therefore it is likely that if you purchased this recently, it is already loaded in the tele converter.

If you wish to check and confirm, we recommend that you try attaching this tele converter by itself to this camera, without the 50-200mm lens, to see if it is detected by your camera. If not, you may have to use an Olympus camera, to confirm and/or update the firmware in this adapter. If this is not available to you or an acquaintance, you can try going to a local photo store or dealer to see if they would be willing to let you try this just to check.

In the event that this is not available in your area, you would have to send this in to our service center in order for them to check and apply the firmware update. For instructions on how to submit your Olympus Product to our service center, please follow the instructions outlined on the following web page:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/repair_pdfs/warranty_info.pdf

If you require additional assistance please reply to this email leaving the complete history intact.

Best Regards,

Technical Support
    Olympus America Inc."

Well, certainly more helpful than Panasonic, but still not really all that helpful. So Olympus is telling me that you should NEVER use ANY of their TC's or extension tubes when mounting the lenses on a m43 camera, because the adapter is already attached? I'm calling BS, because as a number of you stated, your TC works just fine with your MMF-x adapters and m43 camera.

They did make a good point about just attaching the EC14 & MMF3 to the camera, and check to see if it recognizes the TC as a lens to check the FW that way. I'll try that tonight when I get home. But if that doesn't work, IDK what to try next.

Does anyone here have a Panasonic m43 camera, a 4/3 lens, an EC14 or 20, and an adapter? I'm wondering if the TC presence is only recognized on Olympus m43 cameras and not Panasonic ones?

17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Have you cleaned the contacts on the EC? If you have a multimeter, have you measured continuity between the in/out pins on the EC? I find what Olympus said funny in regards to the firmware for the EC as their site says you can only use a Panasonic camera for the update. It sounds like the EC does not have the update because that is what the firmware update was suppose to correct.

Hope you get this figured out. Maybe another member lives close who owns an Olympus and can check on their camera for you. My EM1 works fine with both my 4/3 lenses and both EC's.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes, I used electrical contact cleaner on the pins as well as the rear contacts, and it made no difference. Does somebody have a pin-out diagram for the EC-14? I could do that, regarding continuity across the circuit. In the mean time, I'll connect the EC14 to the MMF3, and power on my GH4 to see what that tells me. I will also probably post in the Olympus camera section to see if there are any fellow Pittsburghers who have an Oly m43 cam that I could try it on.

I mean, it really isn't that big of a deal. The TC works in that it magnifies the image, but it's just annoying that I can't go back to check EXIF to see if the TC was used or not to get a specific shot.

I'll update as I have more info...

19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I understand your frustration and it would be a pain for me in determining what gear was used for a shot. I would think the pin out is strait thru, I can check in a bit. I will also see if any short depending on TC as someone else suggested above. Give 30 minutes to an hour and will report back with what I find.

20. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Well my brother has my multimeter, so I can't test this :dash2:

• Funny Funny x 1