1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A Question To PL 15mm Owners

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I was hoping that those who own the PanaLeica 15mm could do me a favor and answer a question for me. I'm curious if the supplied lens hood will still attach to the lens when a CPL filter is fitted to the lens?

The reason I ask is because I currently own an Olympus 17mm f/1.8 with the Olympus lens hood that attaches via compression ring when tightening the thumb screw, and recently purchased a B+W CPL filter. The problem is that once the filter is attached to the lens, the lens hood won't fit over the knurled portion of the filter, meaning that I can't attach the lens hood when using the CPL filter.

In the image below, you can see the portion of the filter I'm talking about, the "ridged" portion under "Made in Germany". The lens hood for the 17mm won't fit over that. I'm curious to know if anyone owns a 15mm and a CPL filter, and would be willing to see if the lens hood for the 15mm will still fit on the lens when a CPL filter is attached (any CPL filter should do, since all of the ones I've seen have had this knurled feature to assist in tightening the filter to the lens threads).

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!
    bw.67mm.cp_1.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    with a 46mm uv filter on, i can attach the hood with just enough clearance. so if you'll put on a cpl filter instead, it'll probably be a tight fit or possibly won't fit at all.. quite a similar situation with the 17mm.

but in the instance that i'll use a cpl or vari nd filter on the 15mm, i think a 46-58mm or 46-62mm step-up ring to mount a 58/62mm filter will work for me better and not have a hood anymore. :)

3. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I can use a UV filter with my 17mm, but the slightly larger diameter of that "ring" on the CPL filter makes it so that the hood won't fit.

I asked about the 15mm because I saw that it had a bayonet-mount hood, just like all of my other lenses, none of which give me any issues when using a CPL filter with the bayonet hoot mounted. I was hoping that the same would prove true with the 15mm, and I would simply sell my 17mm to offset the majority of the cost for the 15mm.

I don't understand why you would include filter threads on a lens, and then make it so that only certain filters could work with the lens hood. Then again, IDK why Olympus doesn't include lens hoods with the lenses either...

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've got a Hoya 46mm Linear Polarizing and it fits without any issues. Could depend on brand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've got a UV filter on my P/L 15mm and removing the ring off the front of the lens in order to mount the hood there is just a hairs amount of clearance between the exposed bayonet ring around the lens and a simple 46mm UV filter. I'd guess that that second ring required for a polarizer would block that bayonet lens hood. I don't have a 46mm polarizer but looking at my 58mm polarizer (step up rings to fit on various lenses) that second ring has a larger diameter than the front attachment threaded ring. Hopefully someone with a 46mm polarizer on this lens will post here. Sorry
    Bobby

PS Read Darrens post above.

6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Darren,

So you're able to have the native lens hood attach to the lens with a 46mm CPL (polarizing filter, linear or circular, doesn't much matter for the scope of my question) mounted? No issues getting the lens hood over that slightly wider "ring" of the polarizing filter?

Could you do me a favor, and measure the diameter of that wider knurled ring on the filter with a set of calipers or something similar? I'd be interested to see the diameter of the filter at its widest point, because if its no wider than my B+W CPL filter, then it looks like I'll be selling 17mm and looking for a 15mm so that I can use my filters with the lens hood mounted.

Thanks a bunch!

7. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'm getting 50mm at the widest part (the knurled section). The nose of the PL15 lens is just a bit wider than the knurled section, added photos of my lens and filter.

16436707141_0fd9633382_c. P1000600 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

15815947064_373cc1b050_c. P1000601 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

16412500206_7b21e15fac_c. P1000602 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  8. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    well i mentioned using step-up rings since i opted to just buy one 62mm cpl filter, that i can use for both the 15mm and the 12-40mm.

i initially thought of using a 46mm cpl for the 15mm, but it's not cost effective for me.

and using a cpl with the hood on makes it not that easy or fast for me to adjust the cpl when out shooting. :)

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Darren,

Thanks for the measurement and the pictures, exactly what I needed!

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't want to use a step-up ring because then I can't use the lens hood. The lens hood is very valuable as it helps increase contrast in image, as well as keeping unwanted light off of the filter (not that that filter should flare anyways, since it has B+W's MRC applied to it).

I have no issues adjusting CPL's with the lens hoods attached. I just reach in from the front of the hood, making sure to keep my finger away from the center of the filter, and use my filter to rotate it as needed.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So i measured my B+W CPL filter, and it measured a hair over 48mm at its widest section. It sounds like I shouldn't have an issue fitting the OE lens hood on the 15mm with a CPL filter attached.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please post how well this works as I too might want to get a B+W CPL for this great lens.
    Bobby

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    My first step will be finding a used 15mm pop-up for sale, at a price I'm willing to pay.

14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    If the thread doesn't fit in with the hood, you can just add an extra ring (no glass) between the polarizer and the lens, no?

15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'm awaiting delivery of the 15mm lens and would like to fit a UV for protection, ordering in advance. Reading what you posted above it seems clearance is minimal. Could you let me know what make/brand of UV filter you're talking about in your message above, i.e. is it a B+W MRC.

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think you are going to be able to rotate a polarizer with the hood on unless you plan to put your fingers right on the glass and do it. It's very narrow.

17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I use the "B+W46mm XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter".

18. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks zensu, only the best I see

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think that is the same one I have, but it came free on a used lens I bought. Personally, I don't see the point of a UV filter AND a hood.

20. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    You make a good point, but is the front element tough enough to accept regular cleaning?