A question regarding Flashes for OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by syilim, Aug 21, 2012.

1. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    So, first off, i'm a noob with flash.

I've been using a SB-700 on my D7000 for a while. Although sometimes I get decent results using manual exposure/aperture priority, I just recently figured out that I get better keepers when using Program mode......... >.>

So anyways... I got myself a OMD as a D7000 replacement. Should I sell the SB-700 and get a similar oly flash instead?

I attend photo meets, where sometimes the organisers sync up flashes for us to use. I know that majority of them uses Nikon/Canon gear, so I need to know whether or not if I was to use Olympus flash, would it beable to sync with their nikon/canon flashes? Or better to keep my SB-700?

Pros/cons of using SB-700 over olympus flash on OM-D?

Thanks in advance

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would work if those flashes were set to slave mode & the pop-up flash on your Olympus camera (or the added flash for the E-M5) was set to Manual at the lowest setting that can still trigger the slave flashes. They might be using a generic wireless trigger (with the sender being attached to the active camera) which would probably be OK in Auto or Manual mode on the flashes. There wouldn't be any TTL function thouigh.

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    If I were you, I'd sell the SB700 and replace it with the Olympus FL-600R. You aren't going to get TTL flash metering with the Nikon flash and you will with the Olympus unit.

Your other option (and the one I use since I rarely use flash with my MFT cameras,) is to get a non-dedicated flash like the Sunpak 383. You have to set the flash manually but personally I like that in a way because I have more control over the exposure than you do when the camera makes the flash exposure decision for you. Plus the 383 is less than $100.

4. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks for answer.

I think i'll just sell my SB-700 as I do want TTL when using alone on the hotshoe of my OMD. Plus, I just found out that theres things called wireless triggers......I know. stupid me..........

So chances are when the organisers of the photography group that I attend sets up multiple flashes, they'll also have wireless triggers that we mount onto our hotshoes.

5. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    There have been a number of Olympus FL-36R flash heads that have sold recently on Ebay for US$ 105-125 recently. While discontinued, I picked up one of these as its lighter and more compact than either the FL-50R or FL-600R while retaining hotshoe and wireless slave TTL as well as tilt & swivel head for bounce/bounce-card photography in both landscape & portrait orientations.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The FL36R is good in a limited room space but are underpowered in larger venues if bounce flash is used.

7. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    I don't doubt that. It's guide number is only 36 m vs 50 m for the FL-50R (at 42mm), meaning it throws half the light. (Aside: due to inverse square law, if flash output is doubled, guide number increases by sqrt 2. A guide number 1/sqrt 2 as large, as in this case, means light output is halved.)

However, FL-36R guide number is the same as the FL-600R, and both of these have over twice the output per flash of the FL-300R or FL-20. As far as I can tell, it is the Olympus equivalent of the SB-700 Nikon speedlight, but because it only houses 2 AA batteries it recharges more slowly (5-6 seconds per full power flash).

Specifications from the manuals (since the specs on B+H are confusing - multiple ISOs, multiple focal lengths)

FL-50R
    50m (ISO100) at 42mm
    28m (ISO100) at 12mm

FL-36R
    36m (ISO100) at 42mm
    20m (ISO100) at 12mm

FL-600R
    36m (ISO100), 12 (ISO100, using the wide panel)

FL-300R
    20m (ISO100), 12 (ISO100, using the wide panel)

FL-20
    20m (ISO100)

FL-14
    14m (ISO100)

TBH, the main reason I went FL-36R? Check out the size of the FL-50R on the Four Thirds consortium's matching simulation.