A question on pricing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Hektor, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hektor

Hektor subscribing member

May 15, 2014
    I am considering buying a Vario-Elmar 14-50 f3.8-5.6 to use on my L10 body, but the price varies so much from something like about $600 to over a thousand new. Some of the lower prices come from lenses sold in Japan. Any reason why I should not take a chance with the lower priced lenses - assuming they are new? I have read the reviews already so I am pretty much convinced to buy the Vario Elmar. I have the Vario Elmarit already.
    Thanks

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I would definitely not buy that lens for $1000; frankly $600 is quite a lot. On the used market, just make sure that your seller is good and that's totally the route to go. On eBay, top-rated sellers and people with good ratings usually don't pose any problems. I see that B&H has that lens used right now for $380 here and Amazon has a number of used for the same price. KEH has an EX-rated f/2.8-3.5 version of the lens for $400 right now here, so I assume that when they have the slow 14-50 in stock that it's priced well below that. I think with some shopping, you can save yourself a lot of money.

3. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The Vario-Elmar 14-50 f3.8-5.6 is not the lens the reviews are "raving" about. Its a cheap kit lens worth about $100 maximum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.