1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A question of fix or buy.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mpg01, Sep 9, 2018.

1. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    My beat up old E-M1 has finally seized up and will not turn on. The curtain is stuck and it had recently been having issues with locking up and had gotten error codes of 2831 and 2836. Likely the IS going south and/or something stuck in the mechanism. Other than that the unit was fine exept for the grip peeling off and the eye piece was half broken off and stuck back on with sticky tape. But all the buttons and dials are in tip top condition.

So the question is whether to send it in for repair or buy a reburb. I still have my E-M5 so I'm not dead in the water, as it were. I'm not really thinking about buying something newer at this point although if the E-M1 II price point becomes more attractve, who knows. I am solidly an enthusiest so it's a want not need situation. So if anyone has experience with this sort of repair, I'd love to hear and I appreciate any input.

2. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    If it were me I’d go new, the best you can afford to finance!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Finance? seriously? The OP asked about repairing his EM1 or buying another one in better condition and your solution is to finance a new camera?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    You can get a used EM1 from KEH from $400-$500. I would send your EM1 in for repair and make your decision based on the price they give for repair vs what another used one will cost you. Since your buttons and dials are all in good order I would go with repair even if it was at the $400 mark since you know the history of the camera. Would also have a reconditioned camera vs something you know nothing about, you could end up with one of my old EM1's that have been dropped in the swamp a few times.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Financing a camera? Seriously? Unless you’re making money with you camera where you’ll make back far more than the interest you’ll pay, that’s terrible advice...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm pretty sure that was not a serious suggestion of financing a camera, but to play devil's advocate, what's so bad about that? Assuming you're not spending $10,000 on a Leica M10 and a lens, but more like a grand and a half, you can get that with free year long financing with Amazon and some other outlets. It gives you the ability to use a better camera than you could readily afford (and/or better lenses that will produce better image quality) and probably doesn't cost a penny in interest. This can't be all bad?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I live with these thoughts everyday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    You’re misconstruing the word finance as I’ve used it! If the OP was contemplating send his old body for repair, I’m sort of assuming that there is a cost to doing that, I meant that it might be throwing good money after bad, so why not put that money into part financing a new body. I did not mean taking out some form of borrowing money with whom ever merely agreeing with OP that it might be better to get a newer body rather than repairing a clapped out older body!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Percy

Percy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    Hereford, England
    I think this phrase must have a different meaning in the US to that which would be understood in the UK. Over here it doesn't just refer to a loan but can refer to using your own money (or finances) to pay for it :) 

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Mike G

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Exactly Percy thankyou

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It can mean either in the US, but definitely most often refers to borrowing money. Incidentally at the bank where I work the other banker and I have a "camera loan" running joke where he tries to get me to borrow some absurd amount for cameras well out of my price range.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    This is my concern with getting it repaired. With some problems such as broken mount or non working dials or shutter locked up, it is a fairly straight forward diagnosis and repair. But once you start getting random lock ups and error codes, I start to wonder if there is something going wrong with the electronics and main board. Also if these are random failures, there is no telling if the repair facility will be able to duplicate them and know what to fix. So they might fix it so it is no longer locked up, but what about a couple weeks after you get it back it starts to show error codes again?

Now maybe those error codes are directly related to the stuck curtain and then you are probably ok getting it repaired, but if they are random codes NOT related to the locked up camera and stuck curtain, you might have more gremlins in there than will be solved by sending it in.

There are a lot of good condition used E-M1s out there and usually our Buy & Sell forum has a few offered at any given time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    My understanding is that olympus typically restores repaired cameras to like new. If the repair quote is less than refurbished, seems like the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    To finance something, simply means to have the available funds.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Not in the US it doesn't...

16. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Fixing stuff can be expensive -- I can't imagine it'll be less than a couple of hundred dollars. And at that point, who knows how long the repair will keep the thing working?

If I were you, I'd figure out why I needed/liked the E-M1 (given you have a compatible camera that's fairly comparable), how much money I wanted to spend, and what replacements I might like. It is quite possible that your answer to those questions would lead you to a used E-M1. Or, they might lead to something else.

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    1st step - Get a quote from Olympus - they have a 90 day warranty is the US and maybe longer other places - and you can get an additional 2 year extension warranty for $99.00.

Once you have the quote, you have a definitive fact to base your decision on.

18. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I appreciate the advice all around. I'll be contacting Oly for a quote and see where it goes from there.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I thought the additional warranty extension was only available during the camera's initial warranty period?

--Ken

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    See the small print on the black image and the Please Note comments. When Olympus has returned cameras sent in for repair or Clean & Check there has been a notice of the extended warranty opportunity included. Same for refurbished items.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.