A question (gripe) about the Nokton 17.5mm f0.95

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Keith, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Does anyone else who uses one of these find the sensitivity of the aperture ring annoying ... you breathe on the damned thing and it moves! I find that when focusing with the full battery grip on the camera I keep rotating the aperture ring inadvertently and because the lens has no electronic connection with the camera (E-M5) you are unaware of the shift ... I often take several shots not realising this until I take the camera away from my eye.

Interestingly my Nokton 35mm f1.2 RF lens is the same. Voigtlander really need to give the detent system in these lenses a little more bite IMO!
  2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Interesting...I've never handled one, but I don't think I've read anyone else mention this.
  3. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    It's only a small thing and no doubt as I use the lens more I'll do it less. I quite like the way I can enter MF lens data into my D700 to retain the aperture readout in the viewfinder ... this would be a useful feature in the Oly IMO.
  4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't have a problem with it. The click stops aren't as tight as some manual aperture rings I've used (such as the Hexanon 57/1.2), but it wasn't too easy to knock. I did accidentally change aperture once or twice, but it wasn't a common thing. I only had the lens for a week (for review), but I really enjoyed the lens. I was sad to send it back. (Note...I didn't purchase and return, I was provided a lens sample for review).
  5. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    Have you put it into video mode?

The 17.5 allows you to make the aperture ring "click-less" for video recording. I've heard it also makes the ring easier to turn.

That's my only thought.
  6. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I hadn't noticed this at all, and I never have the detentes engaged. Might be an individual sample problem.
  7. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The tightness is alright, could be better definitely. I always reset back to 0.95 when I put my camera down, and when I need it for a shot, I know exactly what the aperture is.