A question (gripe) about the Nokton 17.5mm f0.95

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Keith, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    Does anyone else who uses one of these find the sensitivity of the aperture ring annoying ... you breathe on the damned thing and it moves! I find that when focusing with the full battery grip on the camera I keep rotating the aperture ring inadvertently and because the lens has no electronic connection with the camera (E-M5) you are unaware of the shift ... I often take several shots not realising this until I take the camera away from my eye.

Interestingly my Nokton 35mm f1.2 RF lens is the same. Voigtlander really need to give the detent system in these lenses a little more bite IMO!

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Interesting...I've never handled one, but I don't think I've read anyone else mention this.

3. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    It's only a small thing and no doubt as I use the lens more I'll do it less. I quite like the way I can enter MF lens data into my D700 to retain the aperture readout in the viewfinder ... this would be a useful feature in the Oly IMO.

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't have a problem with it. The click stops aren't as tight as some manual aperture rings I've used (such as the Hexanon 57/1.2), but it wasn't too easy to knock. I did accidentally change aperture once or twice, but it wasn't a common thing. I only had the lens for a week (for review), but I really enjoyed the lens. I was sad to send it back. (Note...I didn't purchase and return, I was provided a lens sample for review).

5. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    Have you put it into video mode?

The 17.5 allows you to make the aperture ring "click-less" for video recording. I've heard it also makes the ring easier to turn.

That's my only thought.

6. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I hadn't noticed this at all, and I never have the detentes engaged. Might be an individual sample problem.

7. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The tightness is alright, could be better definitely. I always reset back to 0.95 when I put my camera down, and when I need it for a shot, I know exactly what the aperture is.