1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A question for you Video guys.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Livnius, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    G'day folks.

I'm after a software recommendation.

Been wondering if there is a Lightroom/Aperture equivalent for video footage ? I don't do much video, but every so often I like to take some footage and was wondering if there was color correction software out there that worked like Lightroom but for video. Just to avoid confusion....I'm not referring to video editing software where you cut and edit scenes or add soundtracks etc.....I'm talking color management.

For example.....software that I can use to apply something like the famous '300' preset to the whole movie or even better, customize my own.

Most of the software I have read about so far seems to only do the basics like 'brightness' or 'auto enhance' and the such.

Any help appreciated.
    Joe.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hey Joe,

I don't know of such a program as you described, but here is a video tutorial of a process where you basically export each frame from the video as a jpeg, do your editing in Aperture/Lightroom and then re-assemble the frames into video.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm not "one of you video guys" but I think those are called "Color Grading" software and they are $$$

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Keith.....I know so little about video stuff that I wasn't even aware this technique was an option. Given my videos are usually only 2 or 3 minute basic compilations at the very most, this could be a genuine go for me.

Much appreciated.

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I'll read up on "color grading" software anyway just for the information. I'm certainly not looking to bake a ton of cash though.
    Thanks mate.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I should add that the software-based ones come mainly as plug-ins for the higher-end editing programs. What are you using to edit?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    On another note, do you have Lightroom 4? Because you can apply saved presets to video in LR4. So you could export out a JPEG frame, play around with it to get the changes you like, then bake them into a preset, and then apply that preset to the entire video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That sounds like a much simpler process than the process I linked to above.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Debi, I do use LR4 and that solution sounds perfect. For editing I use PS Premier Elements 10.

Thanks again....you guys never cease to amaze with your generosity and sharing of information.

10. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    You mean Adobe Premier Pro or Edius? (Final Cut Pro for Mac)

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    No not the 'pro' version, I recently purchased a twin pack..."Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements 10".

It's basically the watered down version of both applications containing most of the essential features such as layers/masks etc but at a greatly reduced price as not every single feature is available.

12. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    I recently started using Magix Movie Edit Pro ver. 17 and it seems to have a hefty load of color options and I do see an option to customize your own art filters for the video...99.97% of this is beyond me at this point so it's going to be an uphill battle. Might be worth a look anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I edit exclusively in Final Cut Pro... and have done for 10 years... though most of the time I was working for Apple and was more demonstrating the software as opposed to using it for real projects

the latest FCP - Final Cut Pro X has pretty good colour grading tools built in, with a bunch of presets that you can use... there are also affordable third party plug ins coming along at much more reasonable prices

this guy seems to do good stuff... though I havent yet pulled the trigger on any of his products

Color Grading Products from Color Grading Central

Of course if you don't have a mac then you might have to look elsewhere

K

• Like Like x 2