1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A question for those that own the Panasonic 12 – 35 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jalex, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I received The Panasonic 12 – 35 F2.8 lens today and I think My copy is defective. In my hand, before I mount the lens it makes a Very discernible rattling noise as i turn it for inspection.I own several other Panasonic lenses Including the 100 – 300, The Pana Leica 25 mm, The 14 – 42 kit, and the 14 f2.5 and have not heard a rattling noise like this. Is this the OIS Or is this unusual for the lens? The lens also had a lot of ingrained dust in the grooves of the body so I am suspecting that this lens has been used. For a lens this expensive I was expecting it to Feel and sound more solidly built.

What do you think? Input from other Owners would be greatly appreciated.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    If this was bought 'brand new ' from a dealer / Amazon / other supplier I wouldn't accept it in the condition you describe
    If there is dirt in the grooves it has clearly been used and returned or worse returned because the previous buyer thought it defective for the same reason
    I would not even consider keeping this example especially if it is making noises
    If something fails later on or after warranty you may face an expensive repair bill running into the hundreds
    Send it back !!
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thanks Rob. Yes I bought it from Amazon.com. It arrived today and I will send it back first thing tomorrow.

4. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I've had the same noise issue on my 45-175x lens. As soon as you mount it and turn the camera on it stops and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the images, so I've kept mine.

That said, if you're not happy return it; especially if it looks used and you thought you were paying for a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah send that back! Mine is probably the best feeling lens, build-quality wise out of all my lenses. Hope you get another one soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The rattling maybe the loose elements that are held in place once you put power the the lense, this is how the OIS works. But a gritty, dirty lense is unacceptable. Also, check coatings on front element, I turned a brand new at the brick and mortar store down as the coating on front element was splotchy and uneven. I personally have had bad experiences with most of the X lenses and do not trust the line. I have PL line lenses and they are superb, and standard panny lenses that are good as well. The Xline just seems to have a lower degree of quality control in my experience, hopefully you fair better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've had two of these and still have one - nothing like what you report on either G5 or OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback about this.

9. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I don't have a 12-35, but I was thinking about buying one. I did get a new PL 25mm Thursday and the first time I put it on the OMD, it buzzed and rattled quite a bit when focusing, or when I was when just walking around. Seems it was trying to obtain focus even though my fingers were not on the shutter button. My 14mm, 20mm, or 45-175 GX Panasonic's do not do this.

Sure it is a highly sought after focal length, due to the 1.4 f-stop, but the downside was that in shooting 50 photos in about 45 minutes, it ate my battery up. Who wants to have to turn off the camera or put on a lens cap just so the lens will stop focusing?

I called the dealer and he said there were some Panasonic lenses with out-dated firmware. Panasonic knows of the problem with certain Olympus camera, but they were not interested in fixing the problem. Instead his Panasonic rep said people should buy Panasonic camera and the problem would go away. NOT what I want to hear.

So it went back yesterday and I suggest you do the same.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The 12-35 does rattle a bit due to the IS group. It's fairly normal. A dirty lens is not, so I would return it for that alone.

Jim. The 25mm has 'rattlesnake" on some of the Oly bodies. It's the aperture constantly opening and closing, not the focus. There were firmware upgrades. But I don't own the lens and cant comment on whether the solution was satisfactory. But it's usually worth upgrading any firmware for new products as you don't know how long they've been on the shelf.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    It sounds like you had more than the typical rattlesnake issue that some have with the OM-D. That can cause some clicking and annoyance but it shouldn't be so active that your battery goes flat in 50 shots.

There are many of us using that combo all the time and I don't know of anyone that's had that significant of an issue. To me the Panasonic rep is full of crap, I've shot over 2k shots with the combo and I love the results. I have just as much rattlesnaking on my GX1 as I do the EM-5. I've never updated firmware for the lens, I wasn't aware that there was one. You're probably done with the whole situation now, but if you do like the focal length and aperture, I'd recommend trying another copy.

• Like Like x 1