A question for E-PL1 and Mac owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by grey0135, Jul 28, 2010.

1. grey0135

grey0135 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi, I process pictures in LR3, but sometimes I like to take a quick glance at a picture without opening lightroom. My Mac is able to open a preview version of panasonic raw pictures (from my GF1), but for some reason is NOT able to open a preview pictures from my E-PL1. Is there an update I can download?

Thanks a lot,

Roger

2. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    RAW for the E-PL1 is not supported on the mac yet on Apples native apps. Hopefully soon as it has been awhile in coming.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    • Like Like x 2
  4. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    I used that RAW converter and it allows me to open my EPL1 pix in iPhoto. Nice interim solution.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Do I understand correctly that there are no programs that read the EPL-1 files on a Mac? Or is it only Aperture and iPhoto (and Preview) that do not? I'm trying to choose between the EPL-1 and EP-2 and it is a difficult decision! Maybe even the Panasonic G1 since I wish to have a EVF in addition to the LCD (older eyes and all that).

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

It's not the Mac that has the issues, per se, but the software. You need to check the software you want to use with your specific camera and see if RAW is supported by the software that you will use on your Mac. If that makes sense.

For example Aperture 3, which of course is an Apple product and only works on Apple computers, does not yet support the E-PL1 RAW files. It certainly works fine with JPEG, but not RAW. It does work for the E-P2 and E-P1 and will eventually for the E-PL1 but not yet... Check out this link: Aperture 3 RAW support

I can't speak about Lightroom.

So check out the software you'd like to use for your camera and see if it has RAW support, if that is important to you.

7. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, I have Aperture 2 and CS 3 and Photoshop Elements 8, all of which handle my present dSLR raw files. I plan on updating as soon as I purchase a m4/3, and was surprised if LR3 did not handle the EPL-1 files. I just checked on Adobe's site and they do not list them as being handled by Lightroom 3 or CS 5.

8. BBW

It does stink but as Ray has posted there is a good work around, however I understand your frustration, believe me.

9. I have LR2 and the E-PL1 raw files work just fine... The format is probably the same as their other cameras (which are supported by Adobe) and they just haven't updated their website.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the clarification.

Now, if I can choose between the EPL-1 and EP-2!

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you can afford the EP-2 with the evf NOW, I'd jump on that. Since the cost of an EPL1 with the EVF bought after the fact is very close to the cost of the EP-2 with the EVF included, the primary reason for me to get the epl1 would be if you just can't swing the cost of the evf yet and really only want to spend about $500. Or if you REALLY want a little tiny built in flash that you might or might not ever use.

I don't think the difference in IQ is enough for mere mortals to see and I think most people will find the controls on the EP2 far more user friendly than on the EPL1. Not that the EPL1 isn't highly useable and a fine camera, but I find its main advantage over the EP2 to be cost, and if you factor in the EVF, that all but disappears.

And the EP2 is supported by Apple already, but that shouldn't really be a consideration - the EPL1 is easy enough to work with until that happens and it'll probably happen soon enough anyway.

Just my opinion, of course.

-Ray

12. MacBook

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ray,

I'm tempted by the EP-2 since controls do make a difference. (My eyes request -- demand -- the VF-2 with diopter adjustment.) The difference in price seems to be about $150 right now, which isn't too much. I plan on getting the 40-150 lens as well. That should keep me out of trouble for awhile.

13. jbone_p

jbone_p New to Mu-43

Jun 29, 2010
    FYI. Apple just released RAW Camera Update. Epl1 is now supported.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BBW

15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I had this problem, too, but have found a solution now. Look at this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f74/aperture-3-iphoto-9-raw-compatibility-3-3-update-4741/

This update will work only, if you have iLife 09 or Aperture 3. Unfortunately, I don't have either. Thus I have downloaded the demo version of Aperture 3, which I tested some months ago, and installed the compatibility update 3.3 successfully. Now I can see the preview pictures of the raw files from my E-PL1. Since I have tested Aperture 3 already, I would have to buy Aperture 3 in order to use it, therefore I removed it from my drive again. I can still see the preview pictures. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    CS5 does fine with EPL-1 RAW files on the Mac, though I'm usually happy with the jpgs, for the first time with any camera. BTW I use the dinky little flash all the time, but always semi-bounced by pulling it back with my finger. You would have to see one to understand what I mean. I do want the viewfinder and they've mostly been out of stock at least five weeks now. I don't know what's going on there but hope they come in soon.