A question for Capture One users (on Mac)

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
For years I have been using Media Pro as my cataloguing software of choice. For each photo event (day outing, visit to museum, one day during a longer holiday), all picture of this event are saved in a folder, and for each folder I make one catalogue using Media Pro. Perhaps inefficient, but that's how I do it since 2012.

However, now that Apple is releasing OS 15 Catalina, which is 64-bit, I will be forced to dump Media Pro (only 32-bit).

I am not going to use Lightroom (tried it several times, but don't like it).

So my questions:
- is it possible to use Capture One (CO) in the manner I described for Media Pro? Or does CO make one humongous large catalogue?
- is it possible to open RAW files, selected in a CO catalogue, directly into Photoshop/Aurora/...or do You have to go through the Finder?

TXS for all Your reactions/ideas...

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Sounds like you want to be working with Sessions, not Catalogue. I use the Catalog with a similar filing system to yours. I don't find it cumbersome with 20k +/- images. You might also look at Neofinder, which I moved to from Media Pro (before moving to C1). You can use as one large catalogue or you could use with hundreds of files to create hundreds of catalogues
For Photoshop etc, you can use an Edit With... similar to LR.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
There is at least one good youtube video about this on C1 youtube channel. Basically, Session is what I think you are doing in LR (every day/job/session a new LR catalog; cannot access files from other days/jobs/sessions, but unlike LR, you can have open more than one Catalogue or Session at a time), while Catalogue is everything in one place (all days/jobs/sessions shown in one "file", but you can still have them in any folder setup you want on your drive). I'd say Neofinder lets you work very much like Media Pro. It is not a processing app, as Media Pro was not. I think they have a demo available- but you still would need an app for processing.
If you haven't done so, try a demo of the C1 app and see how you like it. I think there will be a new version of C1 coming in the next few months, so you may want to wait to buy so you don't get caught just outside of a free upgrade to "C1 Pro 13" time limit.

TransientEye

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
One warning: although CO12 is 64 bit compliant, the test tools on my system suggest that the Media Pro importer library is only 32 bit.

If you want to migrate from Media Pro to CO, it might be a good idea to do this before upgrading your OS to Catalina.

I can not comment on the Media Pro workflow as I have never used it. However, CO´s media management tools are a bit lacking compared to most other packages (eg Lightroom). In particular, loading catalogues with a lot of images can be slow, where “a lot” is more than 10k images on a computer with a fast SSD drive.

The advantage of a single catalogue is that everything is easily searchable by keyword or other meta data. There are no restrictions when importing images, so you can organise the folders on disk any way that you like. Personally, I keep images stored in dated folders rather than by project name - projects are organised inside of CO using either Albums or keywords (and a ”smart album” that shows all images with a specific keyword).

The downsides of a single catalogue are the loading speed and also the size on disk. CO stores image previews inside of the catalogue, which can lead to catalogue files that are many GB in size. The advantage of this is that you can still view and edit images even if the disk containing the RAW files is disconnected (albeit only in low resolution).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom