1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A question for 40-150 PRO owners

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, May 6, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I know that the lens has 72mm filter threads, but do you believe that there would be any vignetting present if I used a 72mm-67mm step down ring? I ask because I already have a number of 67mm filters from when I had a Panasonic 100-300, and if I could use them on a 40-150 it would be ideal since 72mm filters are expensive.

Looking at the image of the lens below, there is quite a bit of real estate between the edge of the front element and the filter threads (it looks like there is more than 2.50mm between the element and the filter threads per side).

To any owners of the lens, would you be able to measure what the diameter of the front element is and let me know? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

olympus40-150f28mpro.

2. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    I have this lens, but don't use a step down ring. My guess is it would vignette at the 40mm end, but not at the 150 end. Narrower field of view at the long end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That was my gut reaction as well (and what I'm really concerned with is the telephoto end). Since you own the lens, would you be willing to take a measurement of the front element size and let me know what the diameter of it is? If so I would greatly appreciate it!

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

By doing a scale measurement on screen, I would say the diameter of the exposed front lens element would be approximately 53mm. The diameter of the 67mm filter might not be so much of a problem itself except to use a step down adapter it would bring the filter further out from the front element & reduce the effective diameter of the filter for wide angle use.