A Question About Weather Resistance

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by GnedTheGnome, Jun 28, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I found myself shooting in the rain today, and though my EM5 is weather sealed, none of my lenses are.

So, my question is, how much do I need to worry about weather sealing in lenses that have no electronic components? Can I use my Rokinon fisheye, or my Canon fd 50mm 1.5 in the rain? Is it the lens itself that is in danger, or would the seal between lens and camera be jeopardized and possibly fry the camera itself?
  2. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    My understanding is both.

Weather sealed lenses also have a seal at the mount to keep the water out of the camera at that junction. But, they also have seals throughout the lens body to prevent moisture creeping into the lens body and between lenses. It is this humidity that causes the dreaded fungus.
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    It should be possible to put a very small amount of diver's silicone grease (available online or at some camera stores) on the lens mount. Make sure it will not get on the sensor.

This would protect the body but not the lens.

If moisture gets into the lens, pack it in a sealed box with desiccant/ silica gel packs, or dry rice if desperate.

edit: I would only try this in light rain or snow.
    Heavy rain may get into the lens, and possibly into the camera sensor area if the lens is open internally.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I do not recommend this. While it may keep water from entering at the mounting point, it will not keep water out of your camera that gets into the lens itself. I would only trust weather sealed lenses on my weather sealed camera. I have been in heavy rain with my em1 while using my 4/3 50-200 and 150 with no problems.
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just use a lens hood, in light rain that will minimize water on the front of your lens. You could also apply some masking tape/duct tape around the lens mount, heck even around the edges of the focusing ring, to keep the lens from taking in any moisture.
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Even with non weather resistant lenses, shooting in light drizzle is fine. When I want to shoot in heavy rain with non weather resistant lenses, I usually keep a gallon size Ziploc bag in my bag with the bottom end cut open. This allows me to stick the camera and lens inside the bag and keep shooting while keeping the rain out. I always keep a hood and clear filter on my lenses so I'm not worried about the front element so much.
    • Like Like x 1