A question about adapters...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Arminius, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Arminius

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England
    I have a G3 and wonder how many good lenses are around of 4/3 that are good for use with m4/3 cameras?

I did buy one Pana adapter 4/3>m4/3 hoping that I can spread possible lenses I can use, did I waste the money for that adapter?

One guy who sell me this says it can let me have AF and many modus just like my G3 and other m4/3 lenses... is this correct?

Johann der Panzermann
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    There are a lot of very nice 4/3 lenses available and they can be used with the adapter on the :43:. You will have AF, but from what I understand it can be a little slow with many (most) of the lenses.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You certainly did not waste your money. The Four-Thirds lens collection, although one of the smallest (for SLRs, not Non-Reflex) is one of the finest with some of the highest quality lenses available. The top-pro tier includes the fastest zoom lenses in the world, with f/2 constant apertures... all of which except the newest (14-35mm/2) won the EISA award for top-pro lens. The High Grade category offers the best value of the system or most any other DSLR lens system. All the High Grade lenses are very high resolving with relatively fast apertures, but at an average of 2/3rd the cost of their Canikon counterparts. They are all weather sealed as well.

The Micro Four-Thirds lens lineup on the other hand, is still in its infancy and although growing rapidly is still growing. There are still many lens types you can't obtain in native Micro Four-Thirds mount (like fast telephotos, for instance).

However... if you bought this adapter for the purpose of using Autofocus, then perhaps you did waste your money a bit. The Four-Thirds system was made for Phase Detect Autofocus (PDAF), which is the type used on DSLRs and includes a separate sensor under the mirror, whereas the Micro Four-Thirds system uses Contract Detect Autofocus which reads directly off the imaging sensor. Lenses made for PDAF do not function as well with CDAF, unfortunately. Zuiko Four-Thirds lenses do include a number of lenses however which were "optimized for CDAF", for the purpose of faster Live View focusing. The problem with this is that these lenses are mostly in the Stnadard Grade and all have Micro Four-Thirds counterparts already. If you want to buy Four-Thirds lenses to get the higher-grade lenses you can't get in native Micro Four-Thirds mount, then the lenses you will get in the High Grade and Super High Grade categories will have poor AF mounted on a Micro Four-Thirds body. The AF will be present and can be used when Manual Focus is difficult (ie, like if your position doesn't allow you to see to focus), but in general manual focus will be faster than autofocus (at least for an old hand like me, who's accustomed to it).

However, there is one advantage to Four-Thirds even in the Standard Grade category with CDAF optimized lenses, and that is price. You will generally (not guaranteed) find cheaper prices on equivalent lenses in Four-Thirds mount than Micro Four-Thirds. For one lens you'll still lose money on the adapter, but if you built a whole collection of these lenses then you'll pay off your adapter and then some. Only problem is, you'll compromise the size advantage of Micro Four-Thirds some (though thankfully the main advantage is in body size, not lens size). This investment however, will allow you to access many fabulous lenses which aren't yet available to the Micro Four-Thirds system.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Arminius

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England

Thank you Ned, that is just what I had hoped for!

I am looking to know the full range of 4/3 and I see 2 good site for that infos.

Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

wrotniak.net: Lenses for Olympus E-System Cameras

They both give good infos but give no idea of how people find them to use or of price/production number!

And the search of net brings me nearly only mikro results, so I wonder how many of these lens existed.

But I will make search of specific lens if that is easy for me, like this: 24mm F1.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL MACRO - SIGMA CORPORATION

It looks good spec for my love of macro!

And this for my longer distance: ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 | Digital SLR | Olympus Imaging Asia

I love this G3 so I will not like to pay more than I have for the kit just to get 1 m4/3 pancake lens, this pricing is crazy!

Thanks again, I have more confident to buy some lenses of 4/3 now.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'd love to pick up the 12-60mm but even the used price is beyond my budget limit.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The 14-54 MkII is one exception in terms of AF speed. It doesn't focus as fast as any of the native m4/3 lenses, but since it is CDAF-optimized, it is just a tad slower than the 20mm in terms of AF speed, IMO (I haven't done any scientific test though). It is not that expensive, and aperture doesn't shrink down as fast as the 12-60mm, although the 12-60 offer a more versatile range... The only warning is that the lens sometime miss focus in low light (it might be just mine though, since I haven't heard this from other users)...
    • Like Like x 1