A protective case for OMD EM-5: Zing?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TassieFig, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    A neoprene case for OMD EM-5

I'm looking for a good case for the EM-5 + 12-50mm lens

It will be used mainly for travel and bushwalking so it needs to be slim with some cushioning for stuffing it into bags etc. I keep coming back to the Zing neoprene cases as they seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure how easy it is too use when out and about and also not sure about the sizing.

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=zing&itemnum=501-103

Does anyone use this with an EM-5 (or similar sized camera)? How's the sizing???

Has anyone even SEEN the Zing + EM5? Pictures?

Any general experience with Zing?

Anything else you can recommend?

Thanx

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    It's in a different price class, but take a look at the Hadley Digital. Small, well padded, very easy to get at the camera, rainproof and room for extras like batteries, filters, phone, prime lens etc.

I bought mine hardly used for 75€; the new price is a little discouraging :)

Billingham bags have a very good reputation, though; in my opinion well deserved.

3. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yeah, that's a nice small bag. I'm after something much smaller though. Just a camera cover. No need for any extra pockets etc. For multi-day bushwalking it needs to be very lightweight and just protect the camera.

4. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I am interested about a neoprene case too for my EM1+ 12-40 for hiking.
    When i was hiking with EP2+20mm i have been using for a while an optech neoprene case that just the right amount of protection i wanted and wasnt too heavy.

5. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I sent an email to B&H to ask about Zing cases for EM-5. This was their reply

Noticing the case is much smaller than the camera +lens I asked them to confirm:

I see no reason why they would not give the best info as possible but I'm still doubtful. It seems such a small case, or short rather.

Anyone tried this combo?

@Fred49: what optech model did you use? Is it really that stretchy?

There also seems to be lots of cheap neoprene cases on eBay but which ones will fit? Surely someone around here use a neoprene case with the EM-5? No?

6. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I think it was a D small, i sold it with my EP2 so i cannot check.
    It was a bit stretchy but not that much, its much easier to push the long panel with lets say a longer lens than to fit something wider in.

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    That small optech case won't fit over the 12-40. It will take my em5+RRS grip with a smaller lens, such as the 17/1.8. You need the next size up, which will fit but be a bit floppy.

8. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
  9. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
  10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

12. Eric28

Eric28 New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2013
    Just like the original poster, I am looking for a simple protective cover, just for an EM1 and 12-40mm lens, to be used while hiking where it would be expected to encounter branches rocks dust and dirt. Neoprene seems like a logical material. Specifically I'm hoping to find a product that comes with the base exposed so that it will work with a Cotton Carrier Strap Shot . http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/211cps.htm It's looking more and more likely that I will have to modify an existing case or make my own from scratch. Keep the ideas coming!

13. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Sure, I'll get some pictures up when it arrives.

For the cost of buying that piece of neoprene you linked to I get almost two of these ready made cases... :wink:

14. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I used to have a waterproof cuben fiber case ( from Zpacks ) with an added thin foam + duc tape insert for my EP2 and after that EM5.
    Now that i have ( in a few days to be exact... crossing my fingers... ) a waterproof camera i am looking for a neoprene case that fits as close as possible an EM1 + 12-40.
    I just bought a capture camera v2 that i plan to use with the neoprene case.

I am very interested to see any photos of your setup, once you buy it.

15. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick

Sorry that I am late in coming to this discussion. I bought a Regular size Zing 15 years ago, have used it on several cameras over the years, still have it, and now use it on my EM5. I prefer not to carry a camera bag on vacation travels. I have chosen to protect my camera with a Zing, which I simply throw into PacSafe daypack. The Zing fits the bill very well, it provides excellent shock protection and is water-resistant. Zings are very easy to remove from the camera, it has a retention snap-clip that can clip to the camera strap so that it hangs from the strap when the camera is in use. My Zing has been very durable, it looks new after 15 years.

Regarding sizing for the EM5, the Regular size Zing is a little large, but still a good match. The EM5 + P14-42PZ pancake combo leaves a fair amount of space in the Zing. When either my larger P12-35/2.8 or P7-14/4 lenses are mounted, the Zing fits very well but still has a little space. In either case, I have not found that the extra space presents any issues during traveling or in any other situations that I have encountered.

I can heartily recommend the Zing as excellent protection for a EM5. Some years ago, I bought a second Zing for my full size Nikon D700 (size = Large) and have similarly been happy with it.

Hope that this helps.

Rick

16. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for the info Rick! I'm still very interested to see how a Zing would work with an EM-5. Seeing as you have a 40-150 which is likely to be my next lens and it's also very similar in size to the 12-50, would it possible to get some pics up? I'd love to see what it actually looks like :smile:

17. WoodrowLarson

WoodrowLarson Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    New York
    Woodrow Larson
    Look out for some online shops, they might have it.

18. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    As I mentioned earlier I haven't found anything at all. Have you? Links?

19. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick
    I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Rick

20. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick