A Proper Editing Workflow

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jpcairns, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Hey all,

I've begun experimenting with videography and have put out a short video or two. My main question is what your chosen editing workflow is and why?

For myself (as I have not researched it too much), I import my footage into FCP and convert everything to ProRes 422. From there, I do my main editing (sequencing, etc). When finished, I then do basic grading just through what is available in FCP (without purchasing any proper plugins like Magic Bullet). After grading, I export it. My main question is I know many individuals export their FCP movie to another program for grading (ie. After Effects and the like) - are these programs that much better than FCP for grading? If so, are features available for free without the need to purchase plugins?

I'm interested in seeing how you edit your work!

2. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    Video Editing workflow

You may want to post this on dvinfo.net. It's focused on this sort of stuff.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    That's pretty much the way I work....going to after effects seems like an expensive route to follow an don,t really see what it offers unless you need to add a lot of pp effects.

For titles and some effects such as masking I would look at Motion....other wise fcpx has a lot of bases covered.

Got any links to the stuff you are doing?

Micro 4/3 is a great platform for learning about video

Cheers

K

4. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Thanks for the information.

Do you find a certain export method works best from FCP to retain quality?

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    It really depends on your distribution method - I personally only push my stuff out to Vimeo - so I use FCPX's share to Vimeo option which seems to work fine

https://vimeo.com/user2196855/videos

cheers

K