1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Prime Lens with a non-fixed zoom OR A Fixed Zoom lens

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by khaled alsbaai, Apr 28, 2015.

1. khaled alsbaai

khaled alsbaai New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2015
    Khaled Alsbaai
    Hey guys,

i still studying film making hoping i can start making some short movies and documentary stuff soon , so i picked up the GH3 and the BMPCC with the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 ( not the cin ) , now i'm looking for a zoom lens that can help me cover a wide range and gives a good quality and I'm getting kind of overwhelmed with the amount of options so I'm here looking for suggestions.

my question is :

1- should i keep the Rokinon and get on of those ( and which one you recommend ? )
    - Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm /
    F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S ( 165$)
    - Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ ( 345$)
    - Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Ver. II R, Interchangeable Lens (300$)

2- or i should sell my Rokinon 12mm f2.0 and get the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ( if it will be enough ! )
    i wish i could have the chance to try any of those lenses or the money to have a lot of lenses in my kit but in my country i can't put my hand on any of them and i'm on a budget :)

I appreciate any help you guys might offer, I'm totally lost.
    Thanks.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i think you'll benefit from the ois of the 12-35mm since you're using a gh3 and bmpcc.. unless you plan on using a different stabilizer

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 is basically the winner if you need stabilization, if not the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on a BMPCC speedbooster is generally going to be the winner as one of the most hugely versatile lenses you can really really get.

ymmv.

• Like Like x 1
  4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH is a very good kit lens, and has in-lens image stabilisation. However, like most of the cheaper lenses it isn't a fast lens, so you need to decide what type of filming you are doing - if most of it will be well lit then this may well do the job. If you want great range, again in good lighting, then I wouldn't overlook the Panasonic 14-140mm, the earlier (and cheaper) variant is marketed as a "video lens".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm not a video expert, but I think it depends on the amount of light that will be available, if you shoot in full daylight, at night, indoor, with or without artificial lights.
    I'm sure you know that aperture also controls DoF so a fast lens can also give you a more "cinematic" look but also makes dynamic focusing a lot more complex.

Also depends on what you are trying to achieve right now: to learn things or to produce some commercial content. In the first case I think that a little grain is not going to be a big issue. If you are shooting reporter style content a zoom is probably better. If it is a planned movie with actors and lights primes could be better but quite expensive when you get a few.
    I would expect that eventually you are going to need more than one lens for different purposes anyway, one zoom and a couple of primes for example.

Old manual focus adapted lenses or something like the Pentax 25mm f1.4 CCTV lens can be a good cheap option to experiment with, you could also get or modify a declicked aperture version for smooth DoF effects.

Back to the zoom lenses you mentioned the 12-50 is the only one with electronic zoom that can be better for video and also has macro capability (but no IS). To buy used or refurbished lenses is often a good option.

I expect that you'll need some other stuff too, like an external microphone or external hard drives for example, so I'd try to spend the budget in a balanced way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. khaled alsbaai

Mar 15, 2015
    Khaled Alsbaai
    thank you all guys , you really help me :)

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The other thing you're going to need is also a good variable ND filter.

With video you don't really have much control over shutter speed/angle (if you go too high the motion gets weird) and it can be hard to stop down enough even ignoring the desired DoF (if it's even possible, it generally isn't in daylight), thus where a variable ND filter comes in.

Spend the money on a good variable filter and it will last over many lens equipment changes, cheap ones can induce color shifts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. khaled alsbaai

Mar 15, 2015
    Khaled Alsbaai
    can u please recommend some mid-range filters which doesn't cost me a lot and doesn't have color shifting issues , thanks

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I would probably just get a somewhat generic Tiffen variable and not worry too much about it at this stage. Almost all ND filters have colour cast or IR contamination issues of some sort, with other cameras people have noticed color casts however the Tiffen seems to match up well with the BMPCC.

Fixed ND filters are generally better (color wise) however a full set is pretty expensive and a variable filter with an IR cut will get you in the ball park for far less money when you're just starting out.

All brands have people who talk them down or up... I would however go for a larger size (77mm) and use step up rings for any lenses that use smaller so that they're all a common size. It also means that the filter you buy now will last longer as you can use it on everything, the size becomes less of an issue.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/
    http://www.bmcuser.com/
    I would recommend having a look at both forums as they're far more video orientated and a quick search of them throws up many threads with much debate and no real definitive answer on this and many more topics.

• Like Like x 1