A portrait taken with the GF1/Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Jorge Ledesma, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Here's a recent portrait I took. So far, I've tried some Konica Hex and now more recent the Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 which I absolutely adore and fell in love. I still need to get the LVF1 for the GF1 which will help with these types of shots but here it is. I welcome all comments, criticisms, and anything you want to throw my way. My background is on film from back in the days, circa 1995, but my digital journey is coming alive more and more. By the way, the image was processed in Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro 2.

Cheers,
    JL

• Like Like x 10
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice portrait Jorge! Well done. Lots of character in the photo and the subject too!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Nice portrait with great eye contact, but could do with a touch of contrast and a bit of sharpening as it's a bit flat....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks Armanius

5. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks Dekhog, I still need to learn the concepts of proper sharpening techniques. Thanks for your insights. I'm going to work on it a bit more and re-upload a new copy and perhaps you can guide me in the right directions. I really want to learn and have this down packed. Thanks again

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I did a quick edit then on checking before posting it noticed you had no edits/reposts allowed in your profile, so just kept it to myself.... :smile:

7. The OM50/1.8 is a lovely portrait lens that gives a nice "vintage" look with great background blur. The b&w work in this image is excellent, but looking at it on my phone screen it just seems the focus point is not quite on the eyes.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's a great portrait and like the way you processed it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    By all means go for it, I would love to see what you can do it, if not, send me your email and I'll send you the file.

10. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami

Thanks Amin, I appreciate it.

11. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Really, I kind off thought the same thing. I'm wondering if the LVF1 will help me with these sharp focus issues. At any rate, I'm getting one as soon as I can, I kind off don't like the whole lcd focusing thing as it is.

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    FWIW I also like it as it is. I tend to like a lot of images contrasty and sharp; but with portraits, you really need to watch it. Adding sharpness and contrast doesn't help even on the smoothest of skins. It can really accentuate wrinkles and other blemishes. I think this is very natural and that can be the highest compliment paid.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I could well be proven wrong if I saw a differently processed version, but my first instinct is to agree with Luke's post above re contrast and sharpness. Maybe if there was a way to selectively add a little sharpening to the eyes but otherwise I couldn't suggest anything else that I might have wanted done differently.

I haven't really found a viewfinder to be of much help for manual focusing unless the LCD is totally washed out in bright light, but it seems to be preferred by a lot of people so you might find it useful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you Luke

15. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks Lucky

16. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Here's another version updated, sharpened the eyes and added a slight contrast and brought up the exposure a tiny fraction. Again thanks for all your insights.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Certainly not for women or children, and probably a personal taste, but with a face as full of character as this I prefer a grittier feel....

359jv3p.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Jorge! Great image. I felt like a fiddle and I had a go on your picture. Not that there's nothing wrong with it, I just had nothing to do. I like seeing what other people like in a photo and see what they come up with. Excellent composition mate.

This is what i did before.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6311837924/" title="6308508765_45a21ea83b_b by iconindustries, on Flickr">"480" height="640" alt="6308508765_45a21ea83b_b"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    I like it a lot, it feels "warm" I like it, thanks its a bit more mysterious

20. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    I had not thought of other versions but this one looks quite interesting, a bit of play between old and new.