A Place Together - a kid's story

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by DigitalD, Feb 10, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Hey all. So Ive been talking a lot about video lately especially with the announcement of the EM5-MKII. So I thought I would share my latest project.

My kids have gotten to that magical age for me. 5 and 3. Where life is still full of wonderment and magic still exists. The idea of this piece was to show the little world they exist in and the memories they are making in a way that is gentle and kind like their lives. Its such a wonderful age to capture therefore I wanted something very lasting and meaningful, but take place in a single moment in time.

I don't usually share a lot of my kids photos here on the forum, though mostly to save you all from the monotonous boredom of looking at endless photos of someone else's kids, but this is my favorite video so far so I figure what the hey. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts. Im looking to possibly do Videos for other families down the road. Most likely not as melancholy as this one however lol. I just think video compliments photography in all the best ways.

Total length 6m 26s

APlaceTogether-720pV2-M.

• Like Like x 3
  2. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Edited because I had to move the link... should work now

3. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    I really like the color tone and the camera movement, very nice.

4. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thank you!

5. PriceRJ

PriceRJ New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2015
    Southampton, UK
    Jordan
    Wow! As a dad to a 3yo who seems to be growing up way too fast, that moved me.

I only started using m43 cameras since October last year and haven't dabbled in video because I would have no idea where to start with the editing. If you could give me a few pointers on how or where to get started, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again for such a beautiful little film.

6. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Heya Price, well as with anything technical, there are quite a few things involved in working a good video production flow but Ill give you a few basics and try and keep it brief but not sure how I will do.

The first place would be to start with the camera. Get familiar with the video formats your camera offers and choose accordingly. Next, choose a movie editor you will work with. Mac's iMovie is just fine for starting out. If you have an Adobe account, Premiere is a professional editing suite and is my program of choice. Final Cut Pro is another popular choice amung pros but keep in mind both of these software programs have tools for editing in full blown movie houses so there is a lot of stuff jammed into these programs that you may never use so don't get scared off! :) I am not sure what the iMove equivalent is in PC computers, but there are plenty of free ones out there and maybe some other forum members can chime in with what they use. What ever you choose for your editing, be sure you understand how to import the types of footage you will be creating, and get familiar with the basic editing tools. Editing is an art in itself so once you choose your editor, spend some time learning its features and capabilities followed by researching some basic editing philosophy and techniques. Google is your friend here.

So first with your camera. There are 3 basic things to identify, resolution, framerate and format.

Resolution:

1080p would be the best and considered HD (1920 x 1080). Note: 1080i display images at the same pixel count. The lowercase 'i' in 1080i stands for interlaced scan. The lowercase 'p' in 1080p stands for progressive scan. 720p is still considered HD but smaller overall pixel size (1280 x 720). Its better to shoot with the highest resolution and then scale down later. However it is advantageous to shoot at 720p when you are learning as it will quicken your post workflow a bit. Most computers and TVs display 720p just fine (my movie was filmed in 1080 and downscaled to 720p in post) Standard definition is 640x480 and is fine for the web but won't scale to full screen very nicely on computers monitors or HDTVs.

Frame rate:

The cinematic frame-rate of choice would be 24p (actually 23.987). 24p refers to 'frames-per-second'. 24p will give you that movie/film look/quality as its based on the frame rate original used by actual film before digital came around. 30p is what is used in Broadcast television. Think the nightly news or reality shows. More frames per second will give you smoother motion in your images but also gives that 'digital video' type feeling. Its not bad by any means but it loses something and can sometimes be described as 'too real' and therefore kill the 'magic' of the motion. 60p or greater is usually reserved for slow motion captures. Basically you film a piece at 60 frames per second and then play back at 24 (40% of the original speed). The slow motion shots in my video are shot at 60p

You might have some other frame rates available to you. 120 or 240 would be for even slower motion video however most cameras will only offer these speeds at significantly smaller resolution then standard definition. You also may run across 25p or 50p. 25p is an animation standard frame rate. 50p is another broadcast speed but can also be used for slow motion.

Dont confuse frame rate with shutter speed. here is a good video that explains the difference rather well: http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/56/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-straight

Format:

Most m43 cameras have 2 formats. MP4 and AVCHD. Think JPEG and RAW, but not exactly. MP4 is pre-compressed footage. These files will be smaller in files size and will be generally easier to work with in editing. AVCHD is going to have more image information in the footage and therefore look better but also be quite large files sizes. So if you are just starting out, shooting in MP4 is advantageous as it will speed up your workflow in post. Also keep in mind AVCHD is a little tricker to get to the actual files. Lightroom does a good job importing AVCHD and placing them where you want in your computer. BUT BE SURE that your movie editor can handle AVCHD before taking your footage or you will be stuck googling conversion software for hours!

The rest falls back to you and your photography. Setting up your shots should be no different then setting up a photo. Use good White balance judgement. Its usually better to shoot flat and color correct in post but not an absolute rule when starting out. Color correction with video can be tricky to get good at and is not as similar to photo color balancing as you might think. Always think about composition and try to keep your camera movements fluid. Lenses with stability or camera bodies with stability is always a plus when it comes to film making. Focusing is up to you. Constant focus is the easiest in the beginning but a shot with a lot of back & forth focusing can be distracting. Don't be afraid of Manual focus. You will learn when to let your subjects go out of focus and out of frame. Your f-stop will become important here. When doing action you will want to stop down to give yourself greater DOF to work with. With Shutter Speeds, I like to try to keep them as low as possible. The blurred movement tricks you eye into believing its smoother. High shutter speeds are better for action shots however and will give you crisp looking shots. ND filters become important if you want to keep the shutter and f-stops low outdoors. ISO will still determine grain and effect your exposure the same as in photography.

So there you go. As short as I can make it lol. Confused yet? Remember google is your friend. Lots of DSLR vids out there showing all types of techniques for creating videos. I would definitely look up vids about your specific camera and things to consider when making videos with it. Feel free to PM me any time as well if you get stuck. Looking forward to seeing some test footage next week! Good luck! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Oh forgot to mention one more thing under frame rate. You may also see 30i and 60i. (E-M1 has only these 2 options) The nomenclature of 30i and 60i are not describing frame rates but 'fields' per second. The frame rate of both these settings is actually 30p however true 30p is going to give you better resolution. However if they are your only choices then 30i is best for everyday shooting and 60i will be better for sports and high action. Neither of these can be converted to another frame rate with any ease.

And an edit to above, 25p is used for PAL formats. PAL format is used anywhere outside of US and Canada so if you are shooting for international players then 25p would be ideal however not all cameras offer 25p, even those meant for PAL but 30p can scale to 25p fairly easily.

And 60p can by all means be used at normal speeds and is ideal for shooting very high action shots.

8. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Beautiful memories & nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Any stabilizers were used for the running/biking shots?

9. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David

Thank you! Nope none. Which is my biggest gripe with the GX7. No IBIS in video. I had my eye on a few steady cams but now I am looking forward to working with the EM5II instead :)

10. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Yes, EM5II is very attempting... still debating upgrade my G6. Now I have a big headache :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for sharing! I love the way you used the light (flaring/backlight) as well as the slow-motion segments. The natural sound of your kids chitter-chattering also really added to the video.

I so agree about video enhancing photography. There are so many nuances and behaviours of my kids (now 4 and 1) that I would forget, had I only taken photographs and not video. Buying the E-M5 two years ago changed the way I document my family's life and I'm doing my best to learn how to capture video and edit and tell stories.

Did you capture the audio from the E-M1 microphones?

Darn, the E-M1 video looks much better than I got out of my E-M5 and E-P5. I've now switched to Panasonic LX100 and GX7, as I got fed up when great shots (especially wide/detailed) turned into a blocky mess with my Olympus cameras.

I will most likely return to the E-M5II once I save up some money as I really miss the IBIS for the type of video I shoot.

Did you just use standard picture profiles and/or do any post-processing in your editing platform?

12. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thank you, the edit is an important piece of the pie. I have had the pleasure to work with a few really good editors in my professional life so most of what I know rubbed off from them :D

So believe it or not, all the ambient sounds were captured on the GX7. To be honest, I never considered grabbing audio with the EM1, but it sounds interesting. The GX7 not by any means top quality but its been good enough for my uses for now. I wouldn't count on it to get good dialog audio though. I think if it did have an audio input as well as IBIS during shooting, I would bet you would see a lot more gorilla videographers using the GX7.

Im still working on getting better with color. I try and work now on setting the color very flat in the camera. The best is to set WB with neutral grey cards or a use decent white balance lens cap. I also set the whites -1 and blacks +1 just to further flatten out the color in camera. (To be honest though on this movie I did not make that adjustment which is why some of the highlights are so hot) The flatter you shoot in camera the more you will have to work with in post. Adobe Premier actually handles color correction very well in my opinion and also gives me the ability to lay color adjustment layers over multiple tracks and cuts. Very useful when looking to get consistent color throughout the entire piece.

Good luck! Take lots of images of those kiddos!
    Cheers!

13. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Forgot to add, it is cool to see your son with a camera in his hand already!

My 4-year-old sometimes takes photos with an imaginary camera and my 1-year-old just tries to grab mine. They'll get it some day :)

14. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yep. I found an old Canon point n shoot when he was about 4 and showed him how to use it. He hasn't stopped. In fact Im putting a little lightbox together of his best stuff. This past xmas I got him a waterproof Fuji. It was on the top of his list lol. But recently he was able to figure out how to use a little mini tripod I got him and put the camera on delay and he takes pictures with people and he's in them! Its hilarious and very cool. Cant say I don't feel proud of that little boy lol!

• Like Like x 1