1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A Nikon mirrorless full-frame? My wallet would fly open.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Malcolm Schweizer, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    I grew up on Leica M3's (and yes, they were old back then- I inherited them). I love the design- compact, simple, functional. I wish I could win the lottery and buy a new digital Leica M, but alas I can't seem to pick the right numbers for that.

There is a rumor that Nikon is developing a mirrorless full-frame. I couldn't pull my wallet out fast enough. Even in the DSLR full-frame price range, I would buy. In fact, I would probably pare down my Mu43 gear and start switching, assuming the lenses were fairly compact like Leica. I travel for a living (posted from the Miami airport, waiting to board a flight) so compact was why I chose Mu43. I LOVE my GX1 and am waiting for a GX8 to arrive in the mail this week, but I want to play around with full frame. My brother is a Nikon D-series guy and I love th low light images he takes, but I don't want to carry around a Volkswagen-sized camera to get it.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Why? Just because of the brand name? That doesn't make much sense to me although I was a Nikon film guy for a long time. A new mirrorless Nikon would suffer for several years, maybe forever, without a good range of purpose-built lenses. Any technical advantages in a mirrorless Nikon body are, at this point, highly speculative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya, aren't their already a few mirrorless full frame cameras available now and even a medium format camera. So if it is about the full frame mirrorless, then what are you waiting for? But if it is the "Nikon" badge on it, well just say "I am a Nikon fanboy and want a Nikon full frame mirrorless". We'll forgive you. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Gosh, how I wish Olympus came up with a FF mirrorless camera... ! Would love to have that vintage OM-like chassis with a full-frame sensor in it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Not sure why you are relating Nikon to Leica... they are not that similar.

There's already a FF mirrorless, let your wallet fly open and buy a Sony.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Out of curiosity, why does it need to have purpose built lenses?

To me, the big selling point of a Canon or Nikon FF body would be compatibility with existing lenses.

7. Malcolm Schweizer

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    I don't like the prism. I want a rangefinder body- every bit helps fit in a cramped carry-on.

8. Malcolm Schweizer

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    I agree, but it would be nice to have one or two options that are more compact. When I travel on business it helps to have a camera that can cram into a briefcase. That is why I love the LUMIX, and probably when I get the GX8 (should be waiting for me when I get home) I will be even happier with the format. I just really envy my brother's low-light capability with full frame.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Apart from Leica, nearly all FF lenses are large compared to mu43. A Nikon FF mirrorless would be in the same boat as Sony - smallish body but big lenses. I really don't think your aspiration makes much sense. If you want to "play around with full frame", then I suggest you get a Sony A7 and then a few of their smaller lenses - 28/2, 35/2.8 or 50/1.8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Perhaps one of the Fuji X series would please you? They've got rangefinder models and while they aren't full frame, they do have a bigger sensor than m4/3. And while they aren't Leica, they do have that classy feel to them.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If 35mm is your bag - Sony RX1 mk II.

12. Malcolm Schweizer

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    I strongly considered Fuji. I already have tons of Mu43 lenses, so I went with the GX8 for now- really hoping it gives me what I want in low light capability. Every now and then I get the Leica itch and almost pull the trigger, but I probably never will. It's a LOT of money for a camera. If Nikon made a competitor with the same sensor as the D810, I would buy that.

I admit that I cannot get over my disappointment with Sony's plastic entry models early in the game, which may be unfair judgement against today's cameras. Wow, I just googled and checked out the RX1 MkII... That may fit the bill.

This is perfect New Nikon full frame mirrorless camera on the horizon | Nikon Rumors

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That rumour dates from April 2015! Don't hold your breath.

Honestly, I don't really understand why Nikon holds so much sway for you. If you want a mirrorless camera with a sensor like the D810 then you don't have to wait for Nikon since its 36Mp is very similar to the 36Mp sensor in the A7R. The A7Rii has a 42Mp BSI sensor that beats the D810. I'm not a huge fan of the Sony cameras, but that's not because they're "plastic". I think the build quality is every bit as good as Oly/Panasonic.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would really help with wide angles as they wouldn't have to be retrofocal designs (that are often very large.)

For 40mm+, there's very little lens size advantage. See Sony's FE lineup.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just buy a Sony A7 II and get the Commlite Nikon AF adapter. It works best with the Nikon G prime lenses, especially the f/1.8 lenses like the 20/24/28/35/50/85. If you want to use old school MF Nikkors, you can also buy the Techart AF adapter and get the best of both worlds!

The Commlite is bigger and bulkier due to lenses, but AF is fast and accurate. The Techart with MF lenses is smaller and more discreet, but batteries drain faster and AF isn't very good with lenses that go beyond 100mm.

New school:
    29730322785_3d260b7fa7_b.
    Comparison Shots 02
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Old school:
    28933673622_e04c465b6d_b.
    techart_pro_nikon
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

16. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Digital photography has done nothing to invalidate all the traditional reasons for brand loyalty. Not every full frame camera is equal just like not every m4/3 camera is equal and sensor size/performance is only part of a camera.

Sony makes great sensors, but personally I have hated almost everything about their design choices. Against my recommendation, my sister bought a NEX based on the sensor performance. It has that, but I find the shooting experience rather poor. Given a choice between that NEX and my (often maligned my me) E-PM1, I'd probably still take my E-PM1 because it handles better.

I'm a Nikon shooter and I stuck with them through the years they had no full frame model and waited out the years it took for more modern fast primes to appear. Why? Because Nikon's overall design harmonized much better with me than Canon's and this aspect was at least as important as how big and clean the sensor was.

I don't know that my wallet would fly open at the appearance of a new mirrorless Nikon, but it would be awful nice for the choice to be out there. A more compact camera directly compatible with my Nikkor glass and using the same lineage of image processing as my D700 might just eliminate for my need for m4/3.

17. Malcolm Schweizer

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yes, the RX1 mk II (and mk I) is a fixed lens camera. Very similar to the A7 series, but you requested a rangefinder-like camera that was compact and had a FF sensor, and there are exactly two real options for you if 35mm is enough for you - the RX1 (mk II because of built-in EVF, no big extra hump), or the Leica Q (28mm equivalent).

If you can get over the hump, one of Sony's A7 series cameras (for the best performance overall, the A7rII, for low light monster A7sII) can be an excellent choice, particularly for focal lengths 55mm and shorter; the quality my A7r provides is stunning, but I'm in no mood to mount long lenses on it and shoot wildlife. My MFT gear is simply better suited to achieving my personal goals at a size and weight I find acceptable. But for landscapes and portraits, using the 16-35, adapted CV 35/1.2 MF lens, and the excellent 55/1.8? Sony every day.

19. Malcolm Schweizer

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    I'm looking for a Mustang GT, and you're trying to sell me a Raptor pickup truck because it has similar horsepower. Why make a mirrorless and then put a huge prism on it just like a DSLR? To me the whole advantage of mirrorless is reducing all that bulk. A LVF offers so many better options than that. I need something more compact- not just for ease of carrying; I need to be able to conceal it when traveling in sketchy neighborhoods in developing countries. Honestly, I need a Leica M but can't afford it and am looking for someone to offer me an alternative with the quality, experience, and reliability of Nikon, closer to $3k.

20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Why do assume Nikon would make a rangefinder-styled mirrorless body? I think it far more likely to be styled based on their history with slr's.
    Fred

• Agree Agree x 1