1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A night studio shoot. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by jambaj0e, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    This one is from a small photography workshop I did in the evening in someone's backyard with my E-PL2 and a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 set at f8. The lights were someone else's and not my Einstein because that was set up in the other room, but I did have a hand in helping setting up the light.

How does the photo look? Comments and critiques?

• Like Like x 1
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks great! Do you have a shot with a bear standing behind her? That would be better :rofl:

I think if she had been facing the other way with her back leaning to the tree that might have been a tad better, composition-wise. Due to the black area in the top left, the picture seems somewhat off-balanced? Lighting-wise looks great. Just my 2 cents. :smile:

Keep up the good work! :2thumbs:

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Oh also, I'm still working on a logo/watermark. This is working version #1. What do you thinK?

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I actually cropped part of the tree on the right. I just brought more of it back in so the model will be closer to center. Hope that helps with the compositional balance =)

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I updated the photo with some touch ups on the face and a slimmer, better composition. What do you guys think?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I feel there's a bit too much shadow on the tree-side of her face, fuzzing the outline too much and making the hair on that side into one big shadow - or invisible, depending.
    Perhaps you have the same post with hait taken back, allowing sharp outline of her face towards the tree?
    An alternative would be a rim-light from behind the tree doing a similar outlining job on her hair.
    There is one stalk of lazy grass lying diagonally in its own special way : I'd clone just that one out.

7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I like the composition but the hair on the tree side is completely lost to black and the shadow on her belly is distracting and unflattering. There either needed to be some fill, some fill and a rim/back light for separation of the hair or the model needed to move.

I still like the photo and I wouldn't say the issues I mention kill it in any way. I just know that the more critical magazine art directors I've worked with would comment about the hair and the tummy shadow.