A newb's thread of OM-D questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 23, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hello all...I'm no newb to photography (been shooting for 23 years total, 8 years digital), but I'm new to the OM-D world (in fact, I don't even have the camera yet).

I keep bumping into things I want to find out more about, but I don't want to start a new thread every time...so here's my super-thread of random OM-D questions that pop up...

#1: How good is the 3D function in-camera? I was thinking of getting the Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens, but if you can get a decent 3D effect in camera, then I could save myself around $200 (the price of the 3D lens in Korea) and the bother of having to carry another (however small) lens around, changing lenses, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    There is no 3D function in the camera -- not sure what you are referring to...
  3. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    According to Olympus, there is.

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5: Feature Various Functions | Olympus Imaging Singapore

Relevant paragraph:

3D Photography

Impressive 3D images can be taken by simply following the guide instructions. Select "3D" for the scene mode, and take two images following the guide displayed on the back monitor using the Live View. The camera will then automatically create and save a 3D file (MPO format). The created image can be shown on a TV or PC that has a 3D display function. The camera also supports a 3D lens.

It appears that there are two ways to take 3D images. One in-camera and I'm guessing by moving the camera slightly to the side. The other with the dedicated 3D lens.

I'm wondering how well the in-camera 3D works, as it would allow me to use faster lenses (the 3D lens is f12) of any FL (the 3D lens is fixed at 60mm equiv), in higher resolution (I'm hoping in 16MP, as opposed to the roughly 3MP equivalent the 3D lens gives you). This would be all in addition to not having to buy and carry an extra lens.

Yeah, that's different, though. That's using the dedicated 3D lens, where you take one shot, but it really takes two images, using the left and right sides of the sensor, so you end up with a tiny image (about 3MP on the OM-D). It's not a bad option, but apparently the OM-D has an in-camera 3D option where as far as I can tell you can use whatever lens you have on there and it'll use the whole sensor. I'm guessing you take the picture, then it gives you a ghost outline of where to line up the next shot, then it combines the two into the same MPO format the 3D lens does.

I'm wondering how well that works...
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually not a good idea on several levels, having been using forums for 30+ years.

- After a few pages people don't want to have to read through a message to see if their question has been asked, and they will ignore threads with many pages...I certainly avoid the "Show us your E-M5" thread.

- People skim through message headers to find a thread worth reading. They won't spend the time to see if someone has written about 3D photography in this thread...they'll just start a new thread.

- 3D photography itself can generate many pages about it, and someone may be posting about this first topic two weeks from now after 5 new topics have come up in this thread, and that post confuses people wondering what topic in the multi-topic thread the response is about.
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    True...you're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If I only start one thread, what you described will happen. If I start a new thread for everything, then people will complain that I start too many threads haha (I've been on forums for 15-ish years too, seen that happen a lot). But, if people don't mind, I'll happily start a new thread for other stuff.

Either way...does anyone have the answer?