1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A newbie's guide to Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by yaderhey, Aug 15, 2012.

1. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Hi. Hope I'm not violating any TOS by posting this link, but I thought some people might enjoy this rather long guide/commentary I wrote about the pros and cons of the Micro 4/3 Standard.

OnMilwaukee.com Marketplace: Embracing the next digital camera revolution

It's definitely a consumer-oriented piece, a little different than what you might have read elsewhere.

Thanks for reading!

--Andy

• Like Like x 1
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Nice article!

40% smaller than a FF or APS-c?

3. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    That's the info I read on the micro four thirds wiki. But if it's wrong, I'll definitely correct it!

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I assume you mean this?

5. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Yes. If I misread it, please let me know and I'll edit the article.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    APS-C isn't FF

It's accurate for APS-C, but APS-C is smaller than Full Frame, which is twice the size of μ43.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You wrote:

It would be more accurate to write:

because there are also some DSLRs with the same size sensor as MFT cameras, and there are other DSLRs with sensors 4X the size of MFT sensors.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You also misused the term "bokeh", confusing it with "depth of field" as many do.

Depth of field is how much of the scene (front to back) is in focus. It is an objective measurement, there are a number of calculators that will show you what the depth of field is for a given focal length, aperture, and sensor size combination.

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the out of focus area. It is a subjective measurement.

9. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    I clarified the sensor size line, thanks.

As for the Bokeh part, in all my research for this article, I think I'm using the term as others have. Which might be wrong, but hopefully readers will understand what I'm talking about. It's tough to write a highly technical article for non-technical readers, keeping in mind that even calling myself a "photographer," is a stretch. I'm still learning a lot!

10. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Good read, a lot of the major points have been hit upon, especially such a low price entry point.

11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Hello... I've just registered (not simply to write this, but I've just spent a shedload of money on a G5 & panasonic 25mm to go with the other bits of u4/3 stuff I have here)

The bokeh line annoyed me too - ~tc~ is right. You might be better rewriting this:

along the lines of:

and isolates the subject by blurring the background easily whilst giving gorgeous "bokeh" - a word derived from Japanese meaning the quality of the out of focus areas of the picture.

I think it would be both technically correct and read better for those who know about bokeh (lower case b by the way).

HTH :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    That's a good and clarifying edit. Done and done. Thanks!

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    No problems - glad you found it clarifying!

One other point. You mention in the article:

Have a look here: Crop factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That might help explain what is going on and it may lead you to some better wording for that section.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This one doesn't really bother me. There's really no reason to get into trying to explain crop factor in an article/review like this. If you were to edit this, I wouldn't think you'd want to go any further than to say:

For reasons that have to do with the size of the sensor, 14mm in Micro Four Thirds equates to 28mm in the 35mm world​

Just my two cents.

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I agree, but writing a knowledgeable article and then saying "but I don't understand this bit" takes away some of the authority of the article IMHO.

Your suggested wording is perfect, but it's always good to have the background knowledge as to why the wording is perfect :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's a very good point.

17. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Well, I never claimed to be an expert on the subject of digital photography and Micro Four Thirds, specifically, so I would be lying if I said I actually did fully understand the differences between crop factors. I've read about it and had it explained to me, but I don't completely understand it still (I do, for what it's worth, consider myself an expert in, say, Photoshop). I think it's better to be honest with a reader, rather than claim to be a complete expert on a format I first tried two months ago. Again, please keep in mind the audience this was intended for.