A new Yi M1 review!

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Like a fake BMW.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
no Gerard it's not you.

I agree with Wjiang, it's a pointless review of a pointless camera

That was kinda harsh. It's not a pointless review because it shows quantitatively how the camera performs in the important focus area - something no review ever has the patience or ability to measure. The camera is not pointless. With more firmware updates it could become quite competent. Your quick sound bite sized opinion is really the only pointless use of vocabulary in this thread.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
That was kinda harsh. It's not a pointless review because it shows quantitatively how the camera performs in the important focus area - something no review ever has the patience or ability to measure. The camera is not pointless. With more firmware updates it could become quite competent. Your quick sound bite sized opinion is really the only pointless use of vocabulary in this thread.
okay you've made your point.

callie

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eddie
No Viewfinder,just as well use a Mobile phone. True of any Camera without a Viewfinder.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Except that phones typically have very, very small sensors ... and all the downsides that goes with that.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Whatever the camera is, the negative comments directed at the reviewer are uncalled for.

I remain unconvinced by the camera though. No EVF is fine for this form factor (I prefer the GF7 to the GM5 actually), but I don't buy the whole notion of 'just software'. They need domain knowledge of the photo/video realm to design a well integrated system. The indications from this offering is that they are more style than substance. This may well change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What about the two prime lenses? Are those any good? I'm not that interested in the body, but I may pick one to use the two lenses if they are good.

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Only one of them is a prime, the other is a zoom. To be perfectly honest, mine came with the zoom and I have yet to try it. The consensus is that both lenses are mediocre as you would expect from a kit lens.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Only one of them is a prime, the other is a zoom. To be perfectly honest, mine came with the zoom and I have yet to try it. The consensus is that both lenses are mediocre as you would expect from a kit lens.
Someone here has "proved" that the 15mm f1.7 prime is just a re-branding of the Panasonic/Leica lens. He's selling it too I think in the Buy & Sell forum.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Someone here has "proved" that the 15mm f1.7 prime is just a re-branding of the Panasonic/Leica lens. He's selling it too I think in the Buy & Sell forum.
That isn't a Y1 lens, I forget the brand name of the other 15mm lens but it's a drone company that's actually pretty well regarded, and that 15mm isn't any cheaper than Panasonic's. Well, maybe a little.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... To be perfectly honest, mine came with the zoom and I have yet to try it. The consensus is that both lenses are mediocre as you would expect from a kit lens.
"Mediocre" can include a fine m4/3rds zoom, as well as a coke-bottle-bottom-quality Sony kit zoom : my experience ;)

Let's keep our eyes peeled for a Yi-Mi with EVF.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
That isn't a Y1 lens, I forget the brand name of the other 15mm lens but it's a drone company that's actually pretty well regarded, and that 15mm isn't any cheaper than Panasonic's. Well, maybe a little.
It's from DJI. They've rebranded the PL 15mm f1.7 for their drone kits and switched to a plastic hood for weight savings. That's why it isn't any cheaper (they are the same lens!). They do have worse resale value, though, so you might get it cheap used.

Buy DJI MFT 15mm,F/1.7 ASPH Prime Lens | DJI Store

Yi Mi has nothing to do with DJI. DJI is big time and actually own Hasselblad now.

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
Whatever the camera is, the negative comments directed at the reviewer are uncalled for.

I remain unconvinced by the camera though. No EVF is fine for this form factor (I prefer the GF7 to the GM5 actually), but I don't buy the whole notion of 'just software'. They need domain knowledge of the photo/video realm to design a well integrated system. The indications from this offering is that they are more style than substance. This may well change, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Agree with you here. BUT regarding "just software" I assume meaning using a touchscreen only? There is a whole generation of people coming out who grew up on that. They scoffed at apple when they released the first ever iphone with "no keyboard". But again, I agree with you here.

In a way, size-wise, I wish Panasonic made this camera. The GM5 is too small and the GX85 kinda heavy. Surprisingly, this is the same size as the GF2 (which btw, didn't have a mode dial) I miss the size and weight and simplicity of that camera. Would like a light-weight camera with newest sensor, no IBIS, not too small, normal flash sync speed (GM5 is 1/50), electronic shutter, and this is it. But it isn't.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom