1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A new UV transmitting filter: LUV U-2

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by kds315, Jul 9, 2013.

1. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    Quick test of a new, quite capable UV transmitting filter that has recently been introduced to the market, currently sold only via ebay by seller/company "uviroptics" and named "LUV U-2 52mm Camera Filter, 359WB53, 315-395nm".

First I'm using a very deep into UV reflecting Zinnia flower for that test as well as my "work horse" UV filter, the Baader-U filter for comparison. Lens was my CERCO 94mm quartz flourite lens. Light source was an UV enhanced Xenon flash. All shots were done at f8.

UV detail image using Baader-U filter (approx. 320-395nm, peak approx. 350nm):
    large.

UV detail image using LUV U-2 filter (approx. 315-395nm, peak approx. 359nm):
    large.

UV images using on the left Baader-U filter and on the right LUV U-2 filter:
    large.

Second, outdoor tests using a Gazania rigens flower and sunlight, same lens.

UV detail image using Baader-U filter (approx. 320-395nm, peak approx. 350nm):
    large.

UV detail image using LUV U-2 filter (approx. 315-395nm, peak approx. 359nm):
    large.

UV images using on the left Baader-U filter and on the right LUV U-2 filter:
    large.

All shots have individual white balance set. Compared to using the Baader-U filter, the LUV U-2 needs enhanced red and green and somewhat pushed back blue channels to achieve about identical resulting images when using a quartz fluorite lens; a UV transmitting "normal" lens will need different WB settings in both cases.

Summarizing my findings: The LUV U-2 filter in theory is a bit slower than the Baader-U filter, but only 1/3 EV, which perfectly coincides with its 65% peak, compared to Baader's 80%, that's neglectable at work. In use it is as sharp as the Baader-U filter, considering it is (mechanically very well) built from in total thicker ionic colored absorbing SCHOTT UG11 and S8612 glass filters. I cannot detect any IR leakage at all, as it seems to be having OD4 out of band suppression, which is very good, even better than the Baader filter. Factoring in its attractive price, a very welcomed new filter for reflected UV photography.

Attached Files:

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting comparison, thanks!:cool: