1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A new problem with OM1D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by e55097, Mar 3, 2014.

1. e55097

e55097 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Hello to everyone. Thank you for your useful advices. I’m very excited with my OM-D EM-1 but I’m experiencing two problems. The first has already discussed in another threads (rear wheel malfunctioning). The second is the object of this thread. When you focus in artificial light you see in the viewfinder for a few moments a different white balance. If you take the photo in this moment , the foto will be different with warmer colors. It is easier to see that if you focus an uniform surface. While the autofocus will work in vain you will see change continuously the white balancing. Very disappointing for this class of camera. I’ve already resetted the camera without any result. Is anyone experiencing this problem? OM-D EM-1 12-40 2.8 firmware 1.1 White balancing auto, keep warm colors off. Thanky you a lot. OM-D EM-1, EP-L 5 Olympus 12-40 2.8, 45 1.8, 60 2.8 Panasonic 7-14 4, 35-100 2.8, 14 2.5, 20 1,7, 100-300 4-5.6

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Set 'keep warm colors' to off in the menu. And/or use a preset (fixed) white balance when shooting indoors in dim light. Can't say I have any problems with the auto white balance personally, however.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What's an OM1-D?

4. e55097

e55097 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Sorry Sir...OM-D EM-1. Is that better for you?
    Best regards

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My E-m1 & m5 take a couple of seconds to adjust the WB in weird color indoor light. Keep warm is off in all the cameras I have that have that setting.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Different models may elicit different problems, so knowing the model is important. As an example, I believe the E-M5 has a Sony sensor and the E-M1 has a Panasonic sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Could be the light - some artificial lights change in color as the electricity cycles through the phases

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I also have "keep warm colors" set to off and use a set WB - I have not noticed differences in WB. I also do not give my cameras the opportunity to focus in vain if it does not lock focus as I expect it should, I find another focus target the camera well like better or manually focus.

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I noticed this at the museum this past week. Two things happen... 1) During focusing the finder occasionally reveals the flicker-cycle of any arc-based lighting. 2) White balance, given the chance with a held-down half press will often cycle across different temperatures before you take the photo. The photo itself should be neutral though. I don't know if it's a bug, but in a few circumstances, the finder was definitely pinkish after it had settled on a white balance, but the image was recorded as fairly neutral for the type of lighting I was in.

But yeah, turn off that "Keep warm colours" option.

10. e55097

e55097 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Thank you very much to everyone.
    Fortwodriver was very able to explain the problem better than me. Thank you especially to him because I now Know that I’m not a visionary.
    Anyway I think that is a little bug because, in these particular conditions, you can be able to get two different photos with different color tones. You must be fast, shooting when in the viewfinder white balance is changing.
    PS: I’ve always settled “Keep warm colors” off.
    Enjoy your photos.
    Giuseppe

OM-D EM-1, EP-L 5
    Olympus 12-40 2.8, 45 1.8, 60 2.8
    Panasonic 7-14 4, 35-100 2.8, 14 2.5, 20 1,7, 100-300 4-5.6

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've noticed this with my E-M5 too when using it in low artificial light. I think it's the camera's auto WB taking a few seconds to figure things out. If you shoot raw, then it won't affect the final shot at all.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There is no camera in the world that can set WB correctly for fluctuating flourescent crappy lightbulbs or tubes.

Go outside, relax.