A new Olympus EP3 rumor!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by jambaj0e, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    43 Rumors | Home

I wonder if it supposed to be a 4/3 camera or m4/3?

Only just a rumor for now...

"Olympus EP3 major upgrade with emphasis on classic 4/3 compatibility:

• 16MP sensor, supports 1080 video and up to ISO 6400, 12800 extension (same Panasonic GH2 sensor)

• Articulated LCD, 3″ and 920K.

• No built-in flash or EVF, but there are connectors for optional ones.

• The design “lines” are closer to E-PL1 than E-P2. The form factor, being slim with an articulated screen, is unique! The closest thing would be a scaled-up Samsung EX1.

• Considerable improvements in AF. A headline feature is a new dual AF (CDAF+ PDAF). The PDAF aids CDAF to decide the right focus distance reducing the typical CDAF trial-and-error, particularly helpful for AF of heavy classic 4/3 lenses, (it works MUCH BETTER than any m4/3 body with legacy 4/3 lenses, excellent w m4/3 lenses).

• A special accessory unit comprising a hand grip + 4/3 lens adapter. The unit covers the whole front panel and almost transforms the EP3 to a classic 4/3 camera when attached.

• Expected next November/December for the Christmas season, price TBA.”
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    It'll be a micro four thirds, for sure. The text, I think, makes this clear.

By the way, nice signature!
  3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Aaaarh - they got everything right - except those two things. I want the integrated, old-style EVF, and I'm afraid the EPs look better than the EPL... Also seen a comment saying that 16mp would "outresolve" the Zuiko glass - sure, but wouldn't it make the Pen able to make full use of some of the legacy glass ? And how about the Panasonic/Leica glass ?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Dream on....

personally think the whole thing thing is a very badly thought out rumour

its a cobbled together wish list of features mixed with some past rumours

I seriously doubt we will see any other new olympus in 2010 - if there was to be something it would have been at Photokina.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bernard

bernard Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Biograd; Croatia
    I read somewhere that somebody seen (in Atlanta if I remember well) unusual Olympus, but with modular design... It is posible E-P3 with modular adapter for 43 lens (like Ricoh made) ... just thinking...
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
  7. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think this sounds too good to be true (just like that Canon mirrorless rumour), but we can hope!
  8. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, if they do nothing else, I'd like more compatibility with more of the 4/3 lenses, including AF.

Kevin, I think they meant Xmas 2011, not 2010.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    As I read "Expected next November/December for the Christmas season, price TBA", it sounds like the 2011 holidays, not the next couple of months. So about a year off. I don't know if that makes it more believable, but I can see some pretty sketchy rumors coming to fruition in that amount of time.

Personally, it hits all of the points on my wish list - higher quality and articulated LCD and faster AF, any improvements in the sensor would be icing on the cake. I don't care about a built-in evf - I like the basic pen form and am fine with the occasional use of the vf2. And epl1 'style' lines are fine with me too, although I hope it has dial/ring controls rather than just buttons.

I guess time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree with you wholeheartedly Kevin......I also think that those that have wish lists and are anxious to see them materialize for the most part, myself included, haven't managed to conquer all that is in the existing EP-2!!
    By the way, I think that this site....bar none....is the best on the web.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just want an EP1/2 with a better LCD for checking critical focus and a better implemented MF. Obviously, higher DR and reduced noise is desirable, but those latter two don't stop me from taking the shots I need.

The low res LCD, though, sometimes leads me to believe I have the shot, until I get home and see I missed it. The frustrating MF implementation (for legacy lenses, notm43 lenses) means I've lost shots due to fumbling with buttons.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer need/want to change my camera for change's sake, but the EP1/2 isn't quite finished yet, IMO, though they are close.

The only other bit I need is a native, compact AF portrait prime for when I need a break from MF.

After burning through cameras and camera systems over the last four years, I've finally settled down with the EP1. If I had those three things -- better MF controls, LCD for checking focus and AF portrait lens, I'd be all set for several years!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Benerus

Benerus New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2010
    After many months of use, I just recently discovered a good trick for MF with the E-P1:

if you hit the Info button so that you are taking pictures in the mode with the green rectangle (moveable focus point), then you can quickly force a jump to 7X magnification on the LCD by hitting the little round center button on the directional dial.

I use this to focus a non-AF lens (50mm 1.4f). Hit it again to jump back once you've got the focus.
  13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If they want to get rid of standard 4/3 lenses a m4/3 camera with an emphasis on 4/3 compatibility makes sense.

However I think the add-ons to an e-p3 to make it more like the E-5 is a mistake. They should make a transition camera, more like a GH2, that comes with better support for 4/3 lenses. Electronics and such that can faster focus them.

Then take the e-p3 camera design more toward an interchangeable lens Fuji X100.
  14. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Kevin, while this might be a very bad, thought up rumor, using your reasoning of "dream on" because they would've announced it at Photokina, simply holds no credence either, as if that was the case, the GF2 wouldn't have been announced after Photokina, as it clearly was by Panasonic. These companies have their own timeline for announcements and usually have some underlying reason for the timeline on their announcements. However, I don't think we'll see anything new from Olympus this year either.

15. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Yes; shame that you can't zoom in whilst retaining the use of any of the menus or shortcut buttons. To change any camera's setting, from this info mode, requires leaving the mode, then cycling through every info mode enabled on the camera to get back. It's vying with the function button for being the most annoying mis-feature of this camera.
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I don't see how these can be implemented in one camera.
    Dual CDAF & PDAF requires a prism/mirrorbox/space like in the e-330 DSLR (extra sensor, slightly different job) or the Sony a33 & a55 in which to house the PDAF sensor. If the 4/3rds adapter is to be added to the front of the camera this means that in m4/3rds mode there is no space for that PDAF sensor as the rumour suggests a THIN body.
  17. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    unless, that is, they follow through with their treat of a phase array in the sensor; two adjacent rows of photo sites that can only see light from the left and right of the lens, respectively.
  18. zzol

zzol New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2010
    What a pity ep3 comes still without EVF. If there is a m43 camera with design of ep1/2 + built-in flash + evf, that would be perfect.
  19. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    What I don't want.

It's all very well quoting additions to expected new cameras, however I would like to see a long list of photographers like myself, stating what they do not want.

I don't want a video function on my cameras. Currently, I have 4 cameras all with video. For me, useless, unused and unwanted features which must add to the cost of a camera. I would rather see the cost reduced for non video spec cameras, or see the price stay the same with the cost of a now defunct video inclusion used in some other way to provide something useful.

I'm not alone in feeling this way and with many others have abandoned Canon for instance who clearly did not listen to the moans of the video haters and, ploughed on with video inclusion.

Olympus are you reading this? If so please take note. Don't stick your head in the sand as Canon have continually done. Many users HATE video inclusion.

Maybe we should start a video haters group within these forums.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Who cares?

I don't shoot video on any of my bodies either, but it doesn't bother me that it's there.