1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A New Milestone

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, Aug 17, 2015.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    This past weekend my 9 year old daughter came to me out of the blue and told me she wanted to go out and take pictures of birds with me. My kids have never shown any interest in photography, so this came as quite a surprise to me.

I let her try out several different camera/lens combos I have and she finally decided to go with my old G5 with 45-250mm. I made it a point to take pics of her taking pictures for the first time.

To my surprised delight she captured a couple of well composed pics of some birds! Most important of all she enjoyed the whole experience (also enjoyed pasta at a nearby restaurant with Dad as well).

It is awesome to know her first "real" camera experience was with a G5. She gets to keep the G5 now and I plan to get her a couple more lenses for wildlife and macro. :)

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a great story. Maybe the beginning of a life-long passion!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Thanks! I really am hoping so! :)

4. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    That's wonderful! My Dad and I share an interest in photography, and it is the only hobby we have in common, so I treasure that. I hope your daughter remains interested, and that you have many more photo outings together (at least until she reaches the age where she is too mortified to be seen with Dad). If she sticks with it, perhaps make some prints of her best shots and hang them in her room or elsewhere or let her have fun making a scrapbook with them. If you have an iPad or other tablet, maybe she would enjoy adding filters and effects and text to her photos with apps. There are a lot of great apps that are easy to use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's very nice that m4/3 has such great slightly older model gear that costs peanuts so that you can easily share with the kids. Glad you were able to have a fun day with your girl.

Even if it is not, a day out with dad, including a nice dinner, is not likely to be forgotten.

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My father and I also share an interest in photography. After I got my first camera, an OM-1 in 1976, he went out and got himself one also. He's still at it, although with P&S and bridge cameras.

18719640640_cd6a2cee88_b.
    M1020366-1
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

• Like Like x 11
  7. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Great shot Harvey! Loved the cropped version in your top 5 June.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I love it when kids show an interest in their parents hobbies, my daughter has shown an interest in photography since age 4 (she is now 12) and has had her own camera since. She now uses a Panasonic FZ200 and has captured many really good shots. Her's one example.

18590552636_30c30b0eac_z. Robin by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My uncle introduced me to this hobby at age 7. I learned photography (and film processing) on an old SpeedGrafix. I wish he was here today to see how far photography has come!

• Like Like x 1
  10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks! Printing and framing them sounds like a great idea!

11. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I also made it a point to take a few cell phone pics while we were at the restaurant! One on one time with her was absolutely awesome! :)

12. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    T

That is an awesome pic! Thanks for sharing! I hope my kid will some day take a similar image of me. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Very nice image! Not an easy image to capture! Your daughter truly is talented! Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    My first recollection of photography was when I was around 8 years old, my dad would hand over his Canon QL17 GIII over to me for me take a few pics on family vacations. By the time I was in middle school, I got myself a 110 film camera and when I became a freshman in high school I got my first SLR and have been shooting ever since.

• Like Like x 2