A new lens(35-100)....an old town(Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Not too long ago I borrowed the pana12-35 of a fellow forum member here just to give it a whirl, see what all the fuss was about and as it turns out, I was REALLY impressed with the lens...I remember posting about it and commenting that it stacked up superbly at equivalent focal lengths against the P14, PL25 and FujiX100S....I shot them all against each other in an informal way and was pleasantly surprised that the P12-35 matched everything the others could throw at it.

HERE: https://www.mu-43.com/f57/borrowed-p12-35-loved-46498/

BUT...I returned it to its owner because in those focal lengths I was happy enough shooting primes, in particular the stellar PL25, and besides, I had a Ricoh GR in the mail and now a Sony RX1 as well, add to that the Oly 9-18 and I was MORE than covered for those focal lengths. But I still had the Oly45 and 75mm lenses, both of which I really liked, both of which are excellent lenses (especially the 75) but....swapping lenses over and over for the odd long shot really didn't work for me, so I decided (after much soul searching) to sell both of those lovely primes and replace them with the Pana 35-100. My thinking was it covered both 45 and 75 and MORE....i figured it would be a more versatile option that i would get WAY more use out of....as much as I liked the 75mm and as much as I am in awe of it....I simply did not get enough use out of it.....such a damn good lens though and I'm sure I'll probably miss it, but honestly, for me a prime that long was just awkward. I'll probably get the Pana 43/f1.2 when that comes out....a prime of that focal length I would find a lot more practical.

So yeah, took the P35-100 out on the town and really impressed with it...early days yet but i don't think it will consistently produce WOW images as easily as the 75mm seems to do....but I think it will consistently produce more keepers (...if that makes any sense?). I reckon it's a superb lens in its own right. Keeping it parked on an OMD and always at the ready when called upon gives me the freedom to shoot my other gear in the wide to standard focal lengths without having to worry about lens swaps...I'm kinda lazy I guess, I don't like the constant lens swapping merry-go-round.

This is an incredibly practical lens and I can really see why many consider a 2 lens 2 body kit with this and the P12-35 as the ultimate event kit.

Most of these I shot wide open, not something i'd normally do but I just wanted to see how it goes wide open across all focal lengths. I'm impressed.....not much to see with these downsized samples, but in LR in full size the detail in the 100% crops is fantastic easily resolving stuff like fine beard stubble or blades of grass. MORE than enough for me.

1. 35mm @ f2.8
    smoko by Livnius, on Flickr

2. 100m @ f2.8
    Tracks by Livnius, on Flickr

3. 56mm @ f4
    RMIT facade by Livnius, on Flickr

4. 35mm @ f2.8
    Untitled by Livnius, on Flickr

5. 100m @ f2.8
    take away by Livnius, on Flickr

6. 62mm @ f2.8
    State Library. by Livnius, on Flickr

7. 75mm @ f2.8
    Sleeping it off. by Livnius, on Flickr

8. 35mm @ f2.8
    Exhibition Building by Livnius, on Flickr

9. 45mm @ f3.5
    Exhibition Building. Mono by Livnius, on Flickr

10. 100mm @ f3.2
    Flagstaff Gardens by Livnius, on Flickr

11. 100mm @ f2.8
    Queen St by Livnius, on Flickr
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Nice set. The first pic is awesome!
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Interesting choice... I am thinking about selling my O 4/3 11-22 to get the P 12-35. I generally depend on primes but a versatile, low-end zoom is so tempting. Love the sleeper in the park, great lighting.
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Great set of photos. :2thumbs: I can only dream about that lens at this point in time. :rolleyes:
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I hear ya. I had to sell a couple of nice primes to get it though.
    I'm fine with letting the 45 go...but the 75? ..bloody top lens mate, I'll probably miss it heaps.
  6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    This lens is my next purchase. A really nice set of photos, great light and well planned. Thanks.
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    You've made good use of this lens! Fine set. Well done.:2thumbs:

I sampled the 35-100 on a GH3 this past weekend. My initial thought was that the combo is really quite small compared to the D300/80-200 or 70-200 that was part of my event set along with the D700/28-80 or 24-70.

I do miss the images that I captured with that Nikon combo; however, I don't miss the sheer weight. Although I am thoroughly enjoying my primes, I have longed for the versatility of the equivalent of the two Nikon zooms.

I'll be watching your work with that lens. I'd like to see some portraiture work if you have the opportunity.
  8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    I would like to imagine that I rather buy and use this long zoom. I think there are more benefits in the long end than short end. Using bright primes in short end and long zoom would be nice combination.

Leaving 75/1.8 and 45/1.8 behind for Pana zoom would be devastating experience :frown: At least if you can't afford to have both.
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Thanks guys.

OdBm: Thanks mate. I don't do portraits very often, well, not your regular portraits anyway, I do however snap a few street candids that could pass so yeah, keep your eye on the P35-100 thread and I'm sure you'll see something in there that may help out with your particular interest in this regard. That being said, I suspect the O75 is still the better portrait lens, although both lenses can really blur out a background....(eg #5 from the set above) I feel the O75 has a slightly smoother more pleasing bokeh...but like I stated, my reason for P35-100 was the versatility as opposed to its WOW-ness for any particular thing.

Harry: It WAS a devastating experience, I almost felt like running after the guy and giving him his money back and taking back the 45/75 ;) It's never an easy thing getting rid of a 'premium' item, and thats exactly what the 75 is...but I mostly found it too long for general stuff, no point holding onto a $900 lens if you can't get comfortable with it. Knowing myself as I do, I also suspect that deep down inside, this whole lens shuffle of mine may also have something to do with secretly leaving room for the Pana 43/f1.2 next year :)
  10. Reynard

Reynard Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2012
    Cleethorpes, UK
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    You've got a nice set there but that first one is a show stealer for me! *Love* the processing on that and it's a really cool silhouette shot.
  12. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Great pictures Livnius, and great lens choice ;)
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Wow, very sharp, nice colors, very versatile - makes me wish I could afford one. Still, I tend to like fast primes, guess I'll keep dreaming of the 75. :cool:
  14. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I really like the composition of 7 and the processing of 5. That's a look I've tried for but never really gotten. I think 10 shows well what you can do with the lens (I just got one too), reasonable subject isolation, but not a really shallow field which I assume you could get with the 75 (I don't have one). I'm really starting to like both the 12-35 and 35-100 as they seem to have a richness and quality that can't be measured by a chart. I was just looking at some 100-300 shots beside some 35-100s and the difference was very significant IMO. I look forward to more of your work with this lens.
  15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great set of shots, Joe. Love the treatment, as always.

It seems like you made a good, thoughtful choice, but know it still had to be a tough decision (especially after seeing some of your 75mm images)!
  16. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Enjoyed looking at your photos, especially liked the use of shadow. The 35-100 is a great general purpose lens, good enough for most situations and combined with the 12-35 makes an awesome two lens kit.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts
  17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    amazing stuff Joe, as usual!. you "got it" so it doesnt matter much what gear you use now. just keep em comin'

by the way, 1 and 9 are stellar shots!.
  18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Thanks guys, glad you liked some of the shots...I kinda dig 'em too and am pretty happy with the results of a first days outing. After spending recent weeks almost exclusively shooting the Ricoh GR (28mm eqv) this lens was quite the change.

Cheers Kyle. Yeah, a bit of thought went into the decision, for me, getting rid of the Oly75mm was a big decision because it's such a terrific lens. But, all the thought and planning in the world doesn't necessarily guarantee the outcome I want. Like Joe (emptysensor) said, the 35-100 has enough subject isolation, and I agree (#5 probably shows that best), I shouldn't miss the 75mm TOO much, and shooting at 100mm/f2.8 it is capable of delivering a nice combination of both tele-compression and isolation....the extra stop of light is handy of course but realistically, if I NEED maximum light gathering ability for something like evening events/gatherings/parties...well, the PL25 is THE business and the upcoming Pana f1.2 even more so....and BOTH are of a focal length that I find way more useful than 75mm. So the 35-100 is here be an extremely versatile standard-to-long workhorse....a job which I think it can deliver on with ease.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Brilliant shooting!

Thanks for the great write up as well.
  20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Congrats Joe. Nice set. #6 shows how versatile the lens is for framing and compression.