A new guy asks

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Will Karstens, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    If I have ZERO experience with photo editing (I think it's referred to as "post"), other than cropping a photo here or there...
    Wait, wait, wait...
    I have ZERO experience with photo editing (I think it's referred to as "post"), other than cropping a photo here or there...
    And, I'm (being cheap, queezy, chicken, squeamish, tight with money, uncertain) unsure about shelling out money for a photo editing program (PC).
    And, I've found GIMP.

Have I found a good, solid program to learn to edit on?
    Is there a program that is free and others here prefer more?
    Are there tutorials in normal-speak such that I may pull my (very large super deluxe) head out of the (sphinctorial) sand?

Signed,
    Will the curious.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Thanks Barry!

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Super simple, fairly full featured, FREE. By the time you figure it out you'll know what to buy...or not.

5. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Take your time - there are so many good choices, free and not free, that let you be creative in some way. Fortunately, you can try most commercial programs before buying them: Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One Pro, On-1, Photomatix, and so on.

I started with IrfanView32 for my out-of-camera JPEG images. When I reached the limits of what it could do, I looked at FastStone, GIMP, and Paint.net. The last two are quite advanced, but also have many of the simple operations of the first two. I got brave enough to start processing RAW files when I started using an ultra-wide angle lens. For RAW, I tried everything before settling on DxO Optics Pro. I had a certain problem that I wanted to solve, and DxO excels at it in a unique way - and it was on sale. Photomatix comes in handy for HDR effects - I eventually bought that, too. :thumbup:

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

What kind of editing do you want to do? GIMP is probably overkill for someone starting out and even for some of us "experts" it can be a bit difficult to learn. Most people just need to do some basic color, exposure, contrast, lighting adjustments. Maybe do some cropping and sharpening, etc.

Some free ones that I really like that have some power, but are also pretty simple:

Polarr - (Runs in web browser or as a chrome app)
    PhotoDemon (Also notable because it runs without installation and is only a few megabytes)
    Photoscape - (be careful to watch the check marks during install to not to let it install toolbars, etc)

Microsoft ICE - Awesome panorama stitcher

And if you can part with a little money, I think Corel PSP or Photoshop Elements are perfectly capable editors for even advanced usage. Both can be found for under $50 on sale and often much cheaper if you are OK using one version older than the latest. For example, Corel PSP X7 is $25 new on Amazon. I saw a recent Deal for Photoshop elements at $39.

Also, don't forget the RAW editor that came with your camera. They are very capable and work on JPEGs and RAW alike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.