A new guy asks

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Will Karstens, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    If I have ZERO experience with photo editing (I think it's referred to as "post"), other than cropping a photo here or there...
    Wait, wait, wait...
    I have ZERO experience with photo editing (I think it's referred to as "post"), other than cropping a photo here or there...
    And, I'm (being cheap, queezy, chicken, squeamish, tight with money, uncertain) unsure about shelling out money for a photo editing program (PC).
    And, I've found GIMP.

Have I found a good, solid program to learn to edit on?
    Is there a program that is free and others here prefer more?
    Are there tutorials in normal-speak such that I may pull my (very large super deluxe) head out of the (sphinctorial) sand?

Signed,
    Will the curious.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Thanks Barry!

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Super simple, fairly full featured, FREE. By the time you figure it out you'll know what to buy...or not.

5. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Take your time - there are so many good choices, free and not free, that let you be creative in some way. Fortunately, you can try most commercial programs before buying them: Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One Pro, On-1, Photomatix, and so on.

I started with IrfanView32 for my out-of-camera JPEG images. When I reached the limits of what it could do, I looked at FastStone, GIMP, and Paint.net. The last two are quite advanced, but also have many of the simple operations of the first two. I got brave enough to start processing RAW files when I started using an ultra-wide angle lens. For RAW, I tried everything before settling on DxO Optics Pro. I had a certain problem that I wanted to solve, and DxO excels at it in a unique way - and it was on sale. Photomatix comes in handy for HDR effects - I eventually bought that, too. :thumbup:

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What kind of editing do you want to do? GIMP is probably overkill for someone starting out and even for some of us "experts" it can be a bit difficult to learn. Most people just need to do some basic color, exposure, contrast, lighting adjustments. Maybe do some cropping and sharpening, etc.

Some free ones that I really like that have some power, but are also pretty simple:

Polarr - (Runs in web browser or as a chrome app)
    PhotoDemon (Also notable because it runs without installation and is only a few megabytes)
    Photoscape - (be careful to watch the check marks during install to not to let it install toolbars, etc)

Microsoft ICE - Awesome panorama stitcher

And if you can part with a little money, I think Corel PSP or Photoshop Elements are perfectly capable editors for even advanced usage. Both can be found for under $50 on sale and often much cheaper if you are OK using one version older than the latest. For example, Corel PSP X7 is $25 new on Amazon. I saw a recent Deal for Photoshop elements at $39.

Also, don't forget the RAW editor that came with your camera. They are very capable and work on JPEGs and RAW alike.

• Agree Agree x 1