A New GH4 Review

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by w7ox, May 18, 2014.

1. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks. By all accounts a very impressive camera. I hope the price comes down by fall, when I'll probably be looking to buy.

3. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I'm getting to old to wait for such price reductions :smile: Mine is on order and I should have it in a couple of weeks. The reviews make me very optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Because of surgery and recovery, I probably won't be doing a lot of serious photography until fall anyway. So no rush for me.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I got a GH4 in the mail 2 days ago and was careful to buy from a vendor that offered a no questions asked money back return. Looks like I will be keeping the camera because it has met or exceeded my expectations for video shooting. The only significant annoyance is the video record button - it's located in a spot that's hard to reach and worse, it's deeply recessed so must be operated via fingernail !! I thought this was a very odd design for a camera designed for video shooting. Another thing I noticed immediately when holding the GH4 for the first time is that it has a largely rubberized plastic body - so it feels like a cheap $400 entry level Canon Rebel rather than a high end $1700 camera. My Olympus E-M5 has more exposed metal on the body so has a higher quality look and feel to it. But cosmetics do not matter much to me so the more plasticized body was just a surprise rather than a serious negative. The sharpness of the 4K video is what matters to me and the GH4 video has amazing detail. Most of all I was impressed at how the colors of the video footage could be adjusted in-camera to suit ones taste. So that means little or no color hue and color temperature corrections are needed in post.

• Like Like x 4
  6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    You know that's its magnesium right?

7. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i know you said your main interest in the GH4 was for video, but i'm curious if you had any reaction to the quality of the stills?

thanks,
    Andrew.

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I think the GH4's stills are excellent. I was really surprised because so many older Panasonic bodies had odd looking colors (e.g. purplish-blue skies, yellowish looking green foliage). Not so with the GH4. While default jpeg auto white balance color temperatures (outdoors on sunny days) on the GH4 are too warm (as they are on Olympus cameras), this is easily and corrected in-camera by adjusting the white balance color wheel Panasonic provides a notch or too in the cooler direction. About the only negative about the GH4 jpeg stills is that colors look too artificial in the Vivid picture shooting mode whereas Olympus cameras retain realistic looking colors that have a lot of "pop" when shooting in Vivid mode. I find the best way to add a little pop to outdoor GH4 jpegs is to shoot in Standard mode and adjust saturation to +1 or shoot in Scenery mode with saturation at 0.

• Like Like x 1
  9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez

Haha, on the other hand, I'm deeply grateful the record button is so recessed; few things that annoy me more than accidentally starting to record while working on stills!

As for the body, those were basically my impressions, but I suspect it might just feature more plasticky parts on the outside for the sake of keeping the weight down. As mentioned, the chassis is magnesium.

Yeah, but the inside (hence M4/3s comment on the E-M5's 'exposed' metal). What your fingers feel are mainly plastic and rubber. Not a big deal as long as actual durability remains good, but both the E-M1 and E-M5 do feel noticeably more solid in hand. But again, this was likely to keep the weight down.

Definitely agree here. The greens are a still a bit yellower than I prefer, but I think that's more of a personal preference thing than a matter of accuracy. I really like how the camera handles tone and contrast.

10. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    That's where I was last year: GH3 arrived in March then I had unexpected open heart surgery in April with some side effects (like failed kidneys) which kept me out of action most of the year. 2014 has been a better year!

11. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    That's an honest appraisal. I like the rubber grip (assuming no change from my GH3) -- and the size and handling are perfect for my hands; the E-M5 is just too small (for me), though the E-M1 seems closer to my needs that way. I think the GH3 has a quality look and feel; I expect the GH4 to be at least as good.

Panasonic seems to have improved their still image colors each year at least in the GH line. Of course, the evolution of video in the GH series is very impressive. But I'm glad to see still quality and functionality is also improved.

12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
  13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    How does it compare to the Sony AX100? Surely lacking in detail and resolution, I have been informed.

Also, the lack of stabilisation is a real issue for the recreational shooter, some say, and haven't you noticed the yellow tint on green foliage in videos?

A camera designed for video shooting expects to be used in video mode. Try it.

My Canon 7D feels like that. Of course its cast mag alloy body could be run over with a car. GH4 is probably similar. It is pretty clear that Panasonic are not trying to give it a particular 'look and feel' for sales purposes, just what works best.

You can't keep saying cosmetics don't matter while you keep harping on about what is purely a look and feel issue. Surely you know the body is cast mag alloy.

14. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    In video mode the shutter release button starts and stops video recording.

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    True only when the mode dial of the GH4 is set to movie recording mode. If you try to shoot video with the GH4 in Aperture priority mode, for example, you must press the hard to find and reach and hard to activate (well developed fingernail is required) movie record button. Overall, shooting video with my E-M5 is far easier; i.e. the movie record button is easy to find and activate and I need not haul around a big and heavy (4 pound) fluid head monopod like this one http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A48TBS4-Video-Monopod-Twist/dp/B00C63Z7WK/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t in order to shoot stablized video.

16. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    Try reading the manual rather than constantly posting negative comments about a camera you know so little about or why not send it back and enjoy the far superior video quality of your Olympus. First page of recording settings Exposure control.

17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That's because Aperture priority is a photographic mode making the video button secondary. It is hard to activate by design so you don't hit it accidentally.

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    funny

Dude, I feel bad for you. You have the most hotly anticipated, most excitement generating, most ground breaking camera of the last few years and all you can see are its flaws. I don't know if this is some weird brand loyalty thing, or a personality style, but having read a number of your posts, I can say that it seems to be a common way for you to look at the world.

So... I mean this in in only a positive and helpful way: Relax. Enjoy your camera. You have a fantastic brand new camera. Instead of looking at how you would have wanted it to be different, or how its not what you are used to, or its small flaws, instead look at how ground breaking it is. Maybe this new way of doing things will make sense if you have an open mind. Who knows... but I really hate to see you impede your own pleasure about being an early adopter of what what Reichmann at Luminous Landscape calls "one of the most exciting new cameras to come down the pike in quite a while". I would hate to think your enjoyment or satisfaction is spoiled by a pessimistic attitude or misplaced brand loyalism.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  19. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
  20. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    Give it a rest, your just making yourself look silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app