1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A new E-PL5 owner :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by glasslens, Jul 21, 2013.

1. glasslens

glasslens New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi all,

Recently bought an E-PL5 and I must say, I am very happy with it. I had some doubts, for example no EVF and complex menu system being two of my main worries. However, I find that tilting the screen to avoid harsh sunlight works perfectly for me, and the Super Control Panel is absolutely fantastic, though I have a lot to learn on the potential of all the other functions of the camera. This is not a complaint, I love learning new things about photography!

So I went on my first outing with it today, and thought I'd share one of my images from it. It was late afternoon and the sun was right on the flowers in between the nettle bushes of the road that goes down to the local beach, and after spotting a few butterflies, I tried my best to take a few shots. Here is my best one:

2ed86cw.

This is with the 14-42mm II lens. I was lucky enough that butterfly was very still, and I have yet to learn on how to keep the focus on fast, unpredictable moving things, any advice?

I would love to hear any settings that work for you which you feel bring the best out of the E-PL5.

But so far, I think it's safe to say I'm in love with this camera, I am very keen to get better at this photography lark! :biggrin:

Thank you for reading, have a lovely evening/day.

P.S. Apologies about the large image size!

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Welcome!

As a fellow E-PL5 owner, I have found an EVF and a nice glass collection bring out the best of the E-PL5! :biggrin: Seriously, set a budget for yourself as you can easily get a bad case of GAS if you are not careful.

Have fun,

--Ken

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Without knowing your level of xp and knowledge about photo in general, I would advice to get comfy with aperture priority mode, and designate an autoexposure lock button. Try out spot metering and locking the value that you want is effective:) also, setting the camera's picture processor may be worth your while. I find that natural graduation is much better than "auto" for instance, and that the whitebalance benefits from a -1 on green. But these are personal preferences. Finally, playing around with the artfilters can be good fun. A favorite of mine is the grainy film, but recently I find the cross processed look rendering some interesting results:)

Attached Files:

4. glasslens

glasslens New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    Haha, I definitely know what you mean! No worries, as a student, this took a lot of saving up and as I'm upgrading from a compact camera, I still have a lot to learn.

Thank you for some interesting information on getting some good results, I will try to use these settings (if I can find them!) soon :)

5. qhs232

qhs232 New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Gary
    Welcome, Ejoy yourself, have fun.
    I'm a viewfinder kind of person.....so I got a VF-4 to use with mine.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard. It really didn't take me very long to adapt to the lack of a viewfinder, now I hardly notice it and I haven't found any need to add one. :cool:

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! You have purchased most of the performance of an OM-D for less than half of its price! For now, use what you have and learn how to use it well. That should keep you busy for some time. If you are on a tight budget, consider buying used or refurbished lenses if you want to treat yourself to a new piece of equipment in the future. Refurbished lenses are an excellent deal, and they look brand new.

Enjoy,

--Ken

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Welcome to da' E-PL5 club! :drinks:
    Great work with the kit lens too! :smile:

9. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    They are all in SCP;)

10. glasslens

glasslens New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    Yeah I think I before I bought the camera, a viewfinder would be essential, but now I may have had a change of heart :) thanks for the welcome!
    Thanks! This is how I feel too :D

Hi ken! Yeah that's a good idea, but right now I can claim a lens by redemption which is very nice indeed!
    Haha, thank you! I was stunned at the amount of detail I can capture now, should have seen the big grin on my face while I was out shooting!!