A mutant

Olympist

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
Bizarre! Coincidentally I just harvested this from the garden.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Must be a good year for mutants.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
@Olympist, are you sure this is a mutation rather than variable anthrocyanin expression across the fruit? Fragaria cultivars are selected for colour and several localizable up and down regulators are known (e.g. Lin 2018, Hossain 2018, Zhang 2018, Lin-Wang 2014).

Bizarre! Coincidentally I just harvested this from the garden.
My memory is one of the members here found a tomato with two horns in their garden and posted pictures some time ago. Not having luck finding it on a search at the moment, though.

I'm unsure development of horns or noses in tomatoes has been studied. There's a number of online sources which indicate a horn or nose as an additional locule arising from the fruit (you could "dissect" yours and see, if you haven't already). Some indicate this as triggered by high nighttime temperatures during fruit set and some describe it as a mutation affecting 1 in 1000 plants. However, none of these cite a peer reviewed source, I'm failing to find any supporting information in peer reviewed literature, and I'm exceptionally dubious a consistent transcription error would occur with 0.1% probability. It seems to me a simpler explanation would be potentially any tomato could develop horns but the triggering conditions are sufficiently uncommon it hasn't been worth trying to breed the behaviour out of cultivars.

Commercially, I'd presume such fruit is simply sorted for sauces or other uses where its form isn't an aesthetic concern but there's probably someone here who knows the agriculture better than I do.

Olympist

Mu-43 Regular
@Olympist, are you sure this is a mutation rather than variable anthrocyanin expression across the fruit? Fragaria cultivars are selected for colour and several localizable up and down regulators are known (e.g. Lin 2018, Hossain 2018, Zhang 2018, Lin-Wang 2014).

My memory is one of the members here found a tomato with two horns in their garden and posted pictures some time ago. Not having luck finding it on a search at the moment, though.

I'm unsure development of horns or noses in tomatoes has been studied. There's a number of online sources which indicate a horn or nose as an additional locule arising from the fruit (you could "dissect" yours and see, if you haven't already). Some indicate this as triggered by high nighttime temperatures during fruit set and some describe it as a mutation affecting 1 in 1000 plants. However, none of these cite a peer reviewed source, I'm failing to find any supporting information in peer reviewed literature, and I'm exceptionally dubious a consistent transcription error would occur with 0.1% probability. It seems to me a simpler explanation would be potentially any tomato could develop horns but the triggering conditions are sufficiently uncommon it hasn't been worth trying to breed the behaviour out of cultivars.

Commercially, I'd presume such fruit is simply sorted for sauces or other uses where its form isn't an aesthetic concern but there's probably someone here who knows the agriculture better than I do.
I have no idea, maybe there has been a runner inside the inflorescence... Anyway, I have eaten it :crying:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom