A more interesting "review" at Luminous Landscape

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Oct 26, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Panasonic GH3 Field Review

One quote:

And another, that I missed because it's embedded in the video section of the review:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I was relieved to see that little bit at the end about the curved view in the VF. I thought I was crazy or misremembering things. It really does look like sides of image are curved. I would advise anyone considering it to check it out in person, especially if you wear glasses.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Aw, man! :frown:

I just looked it up, guess Panasonic announced a couple days ago the GH3 will be released in Japan December 13th and I can only assume that means US release is even later. I was really hoping the GH3 would be available in mid-November.

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I tried the GH3 today too with glasses and eewww, the curve edges are weird. Some strange optics going on, as the OM-D did not have this problem.

5. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Yes, I also tried one recently and didn't like it. I wear glasses, but I also tried without (adjusting the camera's diopter), and it still wasn't great. The GH2 is also slightly distorted at the edges (with or without glasses), but not as bad as the GH3.

I don't know what is going on with the EVF optics on the GH cameras. I have the LVF2 finder for the GX1, and it is pin-sharp and clear from edge to edge with or without glasses, so I don't know why they can't do the same with the GH2/3. Such a shame, as they are fantastic cameras otherwise.

6. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I've had my GH3 for just over four weeks now; one of the first things I looked at when it arrived was the EVF display, due to the many comments.

If I move my eye off-axis, I see the graphics smearing. That's it. Otherwise it's fine. It's possible that I just tend to be on-axis without really being conscious of it during use, I can't say.

Between the EM5 and the GH3, I would make my choice on matters other than any differences between the EVFs, which are inconsequential in actual shooting.

Hopefully the widely varying comments aren't due to sample variations.

Brian

7. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I think it's more to do with varying expectations. In my shooting style (landscape and nature) I tend to spend a lot of time checking details in the frame edges, so I'm quite fussy about viewfinder clarity across the field. My GH2 is definitely worse than the LVF2 in this respect.

8. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    My GH3 also has smearing of text in the EVF. In my case, I cannot see the entire image without smearing somewhere. It's worse when viewing the menu system. No matter where I place my eye, the text is smeared somewhere on the screen.

It's like Panasonic put some cheap plastic toy magnifier in front of the nice OLED. The magnifier seems to cause optical distortions. Diopter adjustment does nothing for this issue.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I agree the GH3 viewfinder feels a bit like a step backwards in that department over the very nice model in the G5. It doesn't really bother me, thankfully, but the curved view isn't a plus either.

Not sure why they did this on the GH3 but not elsewhere - maybe it has something to do with the new EVF mechanics, or video or some other feature. Regardless I would have been happy with a simple rehash of the G5's EVF. Nonetheless, as I said it's not a deal breaker for me as the other improvements more than make up for it.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's interesting how this works. The GH2 was the best mu43 body in many ways for quite a while, much better than the corresponding Oly PEN bodies. The gap is smaller now, of course, between the GH3 and the EM5. I guess the Oly bodies sell for size, price, and (maybe) style reasons. Of course, it also reflects that, for many, the video capabilities really don't matter.

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Panasonic has its audience with the GH3 and they won't lose them any time soon. Any competent videographer will immediately observe that the E-M5 lacks crucial video features.

Albeit it's a smaller target, there will be enough units moved.

12. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    What exactly is better about video on the Panny. Is it just the extra options. Does the higher bitrate allow for better grading? I know it would help with fast motion. Anybody compare these two.

13. GH1NGER

GH1NGER New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2013
    Panasonic has been making video cameras for decades ( as have sony, canon, Samsung etc). You would expect them to be able to transfer that know how into digital combi cameras. Olympus, nikon, pentax, fuji etc do not have the same pedigree and are starting basically from scratch, although will no doubt catch up very quickly. Panasonic already know what works in a video camera and what the market wants. With regards to serious videographers they are providing the higher bitrates, manual control, continuous af, 24 fps and better image processing I.e. the complete package as far as videographer's needs. Furthermore the m43 adds an extra dimension. Being able to use masses of old lenses including c mounts makes them irresistible to the videographer on a budget or experimental film maker.