A month without an EVF

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 14, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Trying a little experiment...I'm pretty stuck on an EVF as being essential for my cameras. I tried the E-P1 and had some success but didn't find it enough to make me a back screen believer. Now I have an OLED equipped E-P3 and decided to see what I could do using just the back screen in a variety of conditions (partly because I don't particularly like the VF2 but do like the E-P3 enough to keep it around). The next 30 days is gonna test my resolve and tax my eyesight. Any tips would be appreciated. So far what I am finding is that the OLED doesn't seem any better in anything approaching bright light than the LCD on the E-P1. Pretty decent indoors. I have the beep on so I can tell if things are in focus and feel like in some situations I am pretty much shooting blind. Makes for some "interesting" discoveries when I get back to view the stuff in Lightroom.

I liked this one...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7078678295/" title="Leak by dixeyk, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="Leak"></a>
    E-P3 with P20/1.7 @5.6...shot indoors near my favorite comic book store...very low rent digs.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Cool, I look forward to reading your experience!
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You're very brave. I wouldn't dream of doing the same thing in reverse (i.e. one month without the rear screen).

One thing that I found in my ultimately unsuccessful attempt to learn to love the GF1 was that switching the camera to "Dynamic B&W" seemed to increase the visibility of the screen in bright light and increase the usable viewing angle as well. I think this is because it is such a high contrast setting. Of course this method only works if you a) want all you jpegs in B&W or, b) shoot in RAW + jpeg.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I have been using my E-PL2 without an EVF for five months now. I can count on my fingers the times when I thought one would be useful.
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I shoot mostly outdoors in sunny California weather. EVF or OVF is therefore essential with any camera I am using (or else I'll end up with alot of unfocused shots).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    I have had my gf2 for about a month now, without a EVF... I hate it lol, one of the reasons I ordered the em5 b/c its built in :).
    I still bring the gf2 up to my eye like I'm getting ready to shoot @.@
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    When I bought my E-P3 I went a bit over a month before buying the VF-2 and finally bought it because outdoors in sub-tropical light there were simply too many times when I simply couldn't see anything on the screen. I suspect a lot will depend on what your local daylight is like and the time of day you choose to shoot. In shade, or with the sun at the right angle the screen works fine. Out in the open with the sun at the wrong angle, there's no choice but to use a viewfinder if you want to see what you're shooting.

Having the choice is great. I know I couldn't go a month without using the viewfinder, in fact I couldn't go a week and probably couldn't go a day.
  8. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    I wish you luck ! If I were doing all autofocus I could probably manage without the VF-2 on my E-PL1 but for manual focus I find it indispensable particularly in bright light.
  9. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    In my little over one month experience with 4/3 (EP3) I have found the VF to be the only way I shoot - but that doesn't surprise me coming from DSLR/SLR/RF cameras. The few times I have tried to compose/shoot from the screen - it just doesn't work for me. It feels unstable and I don't feel I'm holding the camera steady. Though I have to admit I haven't done any test shots to confirm if there is actually any difference. Then there is the outdoor/bright light issue. So, for me, using the VF is just more consistent - it works the same way in any light so I don't have to think about whether to use the VF or the screen. I'm not good at (mental) flexibility. :rolleyes:

I bought the VF3 instead of the 2 based on it's appearance/ability to lock onto the camera. I realize that the 2 is a better viewfinder but the 3 works well enough for me.

Good luck with your test; it will be interesting to read the results.
  10. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I find the wide angles somewhat "unnatural" and i like to frame the shots with my 14mm and 20mm (yep 20mm it's still "too wide" for me) with the screen. I usually do landscapes and abstract images with wide primes so that's confortable for me.
    I use the vf with long lenses (my 45-200 panasonic), mf lenses (nikon primes) and portrait (don't know why, but when i watch through the finder I can "watch in the eyes" the model, while using the vf makes me feel i'm breaking the eye contact. Pretty silly because they are both digital displays...).
  11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I've been EVF-less for a month. Sold the LVF-1 in anticipation of the OM-D E-M5. It's been tough shooting outdoors.
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I should try setting the E-P3 to BW...works I. High end video cameras. I don't think shooting on RAW+Joel would be too bad.
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's encouraging.
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    So far the biggest impact has been that I don't feel like getting out and taking pictures because of the hassle factor. I am having to force myself to do it. It really is a shame as there is much to like about the E-P3.

...time to get out for day 2.
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    This is one of those instances where the NEX-7s LCD shines over the E-P3s....:redface::frown:
  16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am almost always framing just fine on my E-P3 without the VF-2. It is more comfortable and natural for me and I can see enough in sunlight to compose and AF.

Good point. There are displays that seem to work better in bright sunlight. My K-01 is easier to see in direct sunlight than my E-P3... seems like the E-P3 screen is a little more glossy somehow. I have heard the NEX screens are pretty great in sunlight and I can see where the tilt would be helpful. It will be interesting to see how good the E-M5 is in this department!
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I could do a month without the VF-2, but I wouldn't want to.
  18. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I got my VF-2 almost a year ago and just don't use it.
    Good luck with your experiment!
  19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    So I have heard. I don't care for the NEX cameras so its not really an option for me.
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I suppose I would feel different if I didn't wear glasses but I find the VF2 very glasses unfriendly. Just last night I noticed that the image in my G2's EVF looks MUCH larger than the one in the VF2 (although not as bright). I have heard the larger eyecup for the VF2 makes a big difference. That said, the E-P3 has other physical handling issues (for my hands) that an EVF can't fix.