A moment please... my EP1 just died

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 4, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Well, perhaps she didn't like that I took up with a new, sleek EP3, but she has stopped working. I called Oly -- their solution is "send it in." Flat rate repair is $168 + tax + shipping. I could get someone else's used one cheaper. Still, I'll send it in, just because they might give me some kind of repair discount on....

A new EPL3! I wanted the EP1 for a backup body, now I'll "have" to get a new EPL3! (or an XZ1 -- I'll have to think about this).

For those who care -- the camera is still powering on, and it still shows the live view, but when the shutter triggers, it writes a black frame to the card. The Oly tech couldn't fix it over the phone. I tried taking the battery out and letting it sit a while. When I do that, it takes a good frame or two, then goes back to writing black. Odd behavior!

If anyone has any ideas on this (or had a similar experience) please let me know. But it is a sad day for me. My trusty EP1 has failed. :frown:

(anyone want to buy a dead EP1 for the body plate or parts? I'm keeping the caps and battery, though. I still might send it in first, and see what Oly says).
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the price is right. Mine is good in every way except the LCD is busted, so maybe I could grab the LCD off yours? It's either that, or I'll be sending mine in to Oly for repair... From what I've heard, the LCD won't be any more than the flat rate you listed.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Suggestion - take the lens off and repeat your test to see if the black frame is being caused by the shutter not actuating...
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    One less E-P1 in the world :crying:, but if it's organs can be used to save another...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Shutter actuates. Black or blank file is written. I've tried 3 lenses, no lens, SD card in and out. Behavior is the same. It acted up after I attached a new 40-150 lens to it. No idea if its related. I wonder if I can reload firmware onto it through Oly Master (on the off chance the lens somehow corrupted the FW).
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've tried this several times but no go. Checks the version number and if current then it does not bother. Gotta find someway to corrupt the firmware version number ...

New feature request for Oly is force firmware install (any version!).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks. Just discovered this myself. It just says "you already have the latest. no need to update" :(
  8. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    And here I was thinking that I would hold onto mine.......... I guess time to let mine go to for a newer model.
  9. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Tried a different card?
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Yeah. A couple different ones.
  11. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Have you tried talking to it?:frown:
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think you're in the "denial" stage of grief. That's the one that comes before the "GAS" stage. :biggrin:
  13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Perhaps it's spirit just moved on the EP-3 body.

Regardless, I just poured out some Jameson on the ground for it.
  14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Oly will probably replace with a refurbed body.

That said, it won't be the same. For those of us who got into :43: because of the E-P1's looks, styling and image quality, we feel your pain!
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011

(Canon has a trade in programs for old, used Canon cameras ... you can get about 20% off IIRC, maybe Oly has a similar program.)

16. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    My experience with Oly so far has been good, but I suppose they can't fix a physically malfunctioning camera over the phone. If your shutter is busted, I honestly doubt a 'reset' will help. Personally, if I decide to keep my PL1 more than a year I am extending my warranty, $80 vs $150+ for a repair is a motivating factor to be sure.