1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A mechanic's life (and a bad day)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey I really had a bit of a bad day on Thursday. Started good with picking up a 8V71 GM from a farmer down the road. The farmer unfortunately cooked one of his irrigation engines when we had our last rain, so we are patching up another spare engine to get him going again. ( it got up to 230 deg c when he came to check it- and it was still running but it totally cracked up the heads and destroyed a liner while doing so.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then concentrated on Pulling a wheel off a John Deere to replace the leaking wheel seal.

P1030083.

After doing as much as i could with that I attacked the GM. The blower had to be replaced and the oil cooler changed over to a smaller one. After i took the blower of the top the air box was completely chocka block full of greasy slime. The flutes around the cylinders were blocked and i started to scrap the sludge out. ( by the way, these engines are 2 stroke so they need the blower to push air into the cylinders. And what was happening with the air box full of sludge the engine was starving for air and had lost power.)

P1030097.

But scraping out the sludge was taking way too long so i decided to pressure clean it.

P1030100.

Haha! Well it was good until i hit a oil hole and it completely covered my whole body in high ash black diesel oil.

P1030121.

Yeeeah. Well it was good it was nock off time!!. What turned it into a bad day was it took me about 40 minutes to clean up in the shower:smile: The worst thing about the oil from these engines is the ash content- so it really stains your skin. So i scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. I'm sure glad mum was in town when i came over for a shower:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Poor you, Icon - but I have to say that I've enjoyed reading about it plus you had time to set up a tripod?!:biggrin::wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Icon,
    Could we get that sucker in a Harley Frame........
    That my friend is a motor.......

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Good story, Icon
    and great pics

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    wow I bet it's fun to work on that kind of engines! me I got my 200cc and that's all :D

I hope you didn't touch your camera before cleaning up!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey thank you all guys for your comments.

BBW, I got my brother to take them for me. He loves to use my camera so it's a bit of a treat for him.

Streetshooter, I imagine you'd havta have a monstrously strong frame with some decent wheels. I think this would weigh about a ton with both heads on. But gee, would it sound good, a diesel v8 revving at 2200 rpm in a bike.

Thanks Bill, you've made me a proud man if you think my storytelling is good. I laugh at my own stories most of the time but i don't know if it makes sense to other people.

Sinophilia, I love working on big stuff and these engines are a good size. The cubic capacity of these engines are 14L or 14,000cc and range from 305 to 350 hp.
    HA yeah, i assure you i wouldn't get my baby dirty in a hurry.