A matter of want...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't need a new lens. But Friday I was given the news that I am cancer free for eight years (officially) and in 2 more years (if I remain cancer free) I can stop having an annual cystoscopy. In celebration I want to buy myself a new lens. I don't have a lot but I have about $200 (maybe up to $260) that I can spend. What I would love to have is a 40/2 Summicron C or a Rokkor-M 40/2. (or even a Zeiss Planar 45/2) Since those are an impossibility I thought I would open it to the wisdom of the board.

I would like a reasonably fast, sharp lens. I want MF because I like MF. I have a small collection of Super Takumars (28.3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8 and 105/2.8) that I like quite a lot. I also have a Helios 44M and an Industar 50/3.5 (on the way). As I said, I don't NEED anything and I am quite happy with what I have but it has been a long difficult journey to get here and I have a little bit of a balance in my PayPal account after selling some gear and I feel like a little celebratory splurge. Some of my favorite all time cameras (film) are my Olympus 35RC with its 42/2.8 lens and my Minolta Hi-Matic 9 with it's 47/1.7. The EPL-1 has been so fun that I really am having a blast taking pictures again. I realize that something fast in the 20mm (to give me the equivalent FOV of those fixed lens RF cams is going to be pricey so I'd be fine with a medium telephoto. It just means I got to step back a bit. at least F2 would be nice but not a must. I have become quite enamored of the Helios 44 and the way it renders (sorry to rub it in Stefan). So much so that I sold off all my Konicas (and also to streamline to m42). I'd love an m42 lens to make it simpler but again that is not a must. I have been toying with the idea of a Jupiter 8 or MIR 1B. If I don't have to spend ALL my balance that would be a plus but I'm willing to as well.

What would you recommend?

BTW, that's a picture of MY cystoscope this past Friday.

Kevin "dancing with N.E.D."

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    In case you're curious...it was bladder cancer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Kevin,
    I'm glad your health is holding steady. Best wishes for the coming years.

The lens money situation. Have you considered waiting for the 14mm? It's due out shortly and if you save just a little more, you'll have enough to get it.
    If this is an impulsive force driving you, then get a J8 and you'll still only be out maybe $50-$70. You could still get that 14mm.....

don

• Like Like x 2
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    ahhhh...Cameraquest...the place of very expensive and wonderful things. I think I have some reading to do. Thanks for the congrats and best wishes to your friend. Just remember to be there for them because there will be times when they just need to talk to someone.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well...2012...the Mayan Calendar ends and I get to stop the annual cystoscopy. Sounds like a winning combo to me. :biggrin:

The 14mm is definitely interesting and I can just save up a bit more.I'm teaching a few workshops in November that I could add to the kitty with. That said, it really IS an impulse buy. I got GREAT news and I feel like buying myself a present to celebrate.

With my new love affair with Russian glass the J8 is starting to sound pretty great.

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Good to hear that you're over a significant hurdle.

In case you're interested, I have a mint condition MD W Rokkor-X 35mm f1.8 lens, with B&W MRC filter and metal lens hood, for sale. I've been thinking for some time about selling my Minolta lens collection, as I'm not using them enough and they just make up another bag that I need to carry around if I do want to use them. I'd be happy to consider an offer if the focal length is suitable.

Cheers

Ray

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's mighty tempting. That' a pretty big lens physically right? I have a thing for compact lenses like the Rokkor 40/2. although I doubt I'll be able to swing it. The 35/1.8 would be a awfully fun lens to play with (and I've always been a fan of trying new things)...and 35 could be a good focal length I think.

Kevin

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Hey Kevin, congrats on continuing good health! That is certainly a good reason to celebrate and buy new gear. I have no purchasing advice for you, just wanted to congratulate you and wish you all the best into the future. Cheers! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The lens is actually not much bigger than the 14-42mm zoom when it's at its smallest (the lens cap for the Minolta is pretty big). Note that you'll need an adapter, which will make it bigger and the hood stands out as well.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

11. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Hi great to read your story about your health. Congratulations, enjoy your search for a new lens.

I use some Leica R lenses with an adapter, it makes it more bulky but it is great manually focussing. And when you do have to manualy focus your left hand will be holding the lens at all times anyway.

So a 35 mm lens would be a great focal lenght for documentary and portraits!!

Enjoy!!

Johan

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't know what I was thinking. I thought is was a lot bigger than that. then again adapters can change all that. My m42 adapters are HUGE.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm thinking about a MIR 1B 37/2.8 as a start. Been liking my first foray into Russian lenses and the fact that they are cheap appeals to the frugal nature of my depression era father (and was of course passed on to me).

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Leica R lenses are a terrific value, unfortunately I think they still fall outside my budget.

15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Great news! My mother survived bladder cancer.

Have you considered the Oly 17/2.8 or even the Panny 20/1.7? The latter reminds me a lot of the Rokkor-M 40/2 when I owned a Minolta CLe from perspective and sharpness.

The Oly is right at $260 on Amazon and the Panny 20/1.7 is down to $330.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the Oly 17/2.8 and quite like it. It reminds me of the lens on the Olympus 35RC. I hadn't really considered the Panasonic...that's in interesting thought. If I sold the 17/2.8 that would give me enough to pick up the Panasonic. Hmmm...

17. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Congrats on beating it! Treat yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you. I couldn't have done it without a lot of help...and yeah I think a treat is in order. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Kevin, I'm a bit late here but wanted to add my heartfelt congratulations to you on your great news! Absolutely celebrate! You're getting some good input here, I'm not surprised to see.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    So in case anyone is interested...

The leading candidates to join the micro herd are...

1. MIR 1B 37/2.8 (m42)
    Pass the vodka.

2. M-Rokkor 40/2
    It's on eBay right now with a ridiculously low price that I KNOW will be way out of my range in a few days but hope springs eternal.

3. Olympus PEN F 38/1.8
    I just had one of these briefly but it had a mechanical issue and didn't work out. One came up on the GetDPI forums from a dealer that just serviced it. He is claiming it stacks up really well against the M-Rokkor 40/2 (and I have heard that before). I did quite a lot of playing with it and while I didn't care for it at first (in fact I hated it) after a few days I figured how to work with it I did manage to get one amazingly good image of my son in poor light that has made me rethink it.

4. INDUSTAR-61LD 55/2.8
    Where h*ll is the vodka?

• Like Like x 1