1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A Magazine for M4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pjohngren, Apr 14, 2012.

1. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I just recieved my copies of both Popular Photography and Outdoor Photographer, and judging from the contents and a quick flip through these two magazines, m4/3 doesn't exist. Maybe 6 months ago, there were some reviews, some acknowledgement of our existance, and even some ads, but that seems to have faded and mirrorless cameras are now only included when listing camera types.

For some reason it is hard for me to get excited about articles in a magazine that takes no notice of the cameras I love to hold and use. Is anyone aware of any photography magazine which includes m4/3? I would be happy to end my subscriptions to the above mentioned rags and go with one that features articles on the lastest m4/3 cameras, lenses, gadgets, tricks of the trade, results, images, fun you can have, unique features, etc.

Please help!

• Like Like x 2
  2. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I think you have identified a niche market for some entrepreneur. :)

3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    The E-M5 was on the cover of Pop Photo a month or two ago, if I remember correctly. M4/3 in the US is a small market right now, but it is getting some press.

Overall, it doesn't bother me too much, but I tend to read photography magazines that focus more on technique and images. I do peruse Pop photo from time to time, but more as a curiosity.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Frank. :) We need a Non-Reflex Enthusiast magazine...

5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Magazines still exist? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, I forgot about that aspect... xD

7. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    There are 99 photo mag covers on Zinio's photography home page (Android tablet magazine reader app). Four of them have pics of one or more mirrorless cameras.

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk 2

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well,
    There's Thom Hogan's "Sans Mirror" website that pretty much includes just about all the mirrorless digital brands & cameras :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Print magazines are an expensive proposition. Costs, both editorial and publishing are much higher than for electronic media. (Those who write and photograph for real publications expect to get paid.) That makes advertising a necessity. (Advertising pays the vast majority of magazine costs--your subscription generally doesn't cover more than postage costs. Sometimes not even that.)

In today's economy, companies are cutting back on magazine advertising. Major, well known magazines are seeing ad page reductions of from 3.5 to 8% year over year.

Trying to kick start a new magazine in this climate, especially one aimed at a niche market, just isn't going to happen. The only possibility would be if Oly and Pana were willing to subsidize the cost, but given their profit pictures last year I can't see that happening. They'd be better off spending the money on better marketing, especially in the U.S.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Print magazines are a joke. But a niche digital publication, pushed out on iTunes and Amazon? That might be sustainable if the front-end costs aren't severe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i think i will get more insights from forums such as mu43, 43rumours, dpreview & clubsnap.

Magazines are pointless. U cant post a question or discuss

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Must say that in the Dutch magazines mirrorless is covered well: at least in half of the issues some mirrorless camera is tested, reviewed or compared to other mirrorless or DSLR's. And to me ยต4/3 certainly isn't underexposed there. Also German magazines present their share on mirrorless. Will see the next months how the E-M5 is covered.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I disagree, print publications are not a joke. You can use digital media to market and push any brick and mortar business whether it's a print publication, retail store, or what have you. Every major print publication these days also has some kind of digital media to back it. The digital media opens up a new audience, but it is the reputation of the publication that brings them in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Again I don't think that magazines are exactly "pointless", but I certainly do agree that forums are much more informative. That's why I'm here. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    But which would you rather sit on the pot with?

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    A tablet...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like to have my cellphone when I sit on the pot. I can browse the internet or even play a game if I want. ;)

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's called a "mini-tablet"....:wink::biggrin:

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Rights you are! I think it's also the tablet for us "poor folk"... :cool:

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Oh don't start -- you could have two tablets if you'd just let go of one of those Zuikos :wink: