1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

a lot of noise at iso 200

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by squeegee, Apr 16, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I took a picture a few days ago and I'm ... disappointed with it. There appears to be a LOT of noise in the picture. It was taken at iso 200, 1/4000 shutter. I took it as RAW + SF Jpeg. The image here is the JPG straight out of the camera, I scaled it down to 2048 using a cubic scaling so that should be a good quality scaling (and doesn't introduce noise anyways). I've looked at the raw image and it's just as bad (or worst since I was looking at it raw with no noise reduction). Specifically look at the bottom part of the image.

Any ideas on this or thoughts? I think I can actually reduce noise by increasing the shutter time right? (to a certain extent). Is there much I can do or is this up to the camera/sensor now?

[​IMG]

2. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    I also noticed this but that's when I disabled or put to standard mode the noise filter. Btw, what's the noise filter setting o this one?

I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that when you put your camera inside the fridge and let it cool off, images would turn out with less noise due to a cooler sensor. If that's true, maybe shooting in broad daylight in a hot place could actually increase noise?

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    lens is 17mm prime,
    f/4.0
    0 ev compensation

Everything else was left standard / normal. The Noise reduction would have been standard (maybe low, can't remember if I switched it before or after). It shouldn't really matter though because noise reduction only affects the jpeg right? I've looked at some of my other raw photos and they haven't had that much noise.

If I look at the raw file, I believe it has much worst noise. (If there's a way to post raw files I'd post it here for you to see.)

My main concern is, this is at iso200, if it were iso800 I would kind of expect that, but 200?

I'm beginning to suspect it's my shutter speed. I think if I used a shutter speed of 1/1000 the noise wouldn't be there...

4. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Shutter speed will not have an effect on noise unless you are using manual and underexposing.

Noise will be relative to the ISO used and how well you have exposed the image, blue skys do tend to show noise, do you use an aftermarket noise removal program?

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Monotone images will show some variation from pixel to pixel but if you were printing this at A4 or smilar sized, there isn't anything there to worry about. The RAW file will always look worse as the JPEG will have some noise reduction applied.

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    No, I'm not using noise removal programs, I was thinking more about the original captured image. I can reduce the noise in post processing but if I have to, that means I'm losing details.

I'm going to try to run some more tests, I looked back at some 1/1000 images I have and I see very little noise in them, in 1/4000 images, I see off coloured pixels and everything.

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    This isn't exactly imperical evidence but see this picture https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=2336 it's on an ep2 so it's suppose to be the same, also iso200 but 1/1000. The blue sky seems to have less noise than the blue in my picture.

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    It may very well be an artifact of the dematricisation of the RAW processor. Don't forget that by shooting mostly blue areas, you're using 1 electronic sensor out of 4 on the ccd (which has a RGBG square layout). The RAW processor mathematically interpolates the 4 values to build a single RGB pixel at each location, so the noise isn't necessarily hardware noise, and may very well be algorithmic noise.

9. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Squeegee
    Rather ironic but that is my image lol

There was noise in the blue sky evident at full resolution, I used a noise removal program without losing any detail.

That image had more noise in it than yours (just checked), basically using the grad filter (on camera) gave the image more noise than the ones taken without the filter, this is due to exposing the sky less which introduced noise, kind of catch 22.

I was able to judge the detail while applying noise removal by the trees against the blue sky, both LR3 and Nik define were tried, LR3 did a better job, not by much though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    well I guess it's a good and bad thing then.

1) it's not my fault my picture is noisy :biggrin:

2) I guess I actually managed to hit a limitation of my cameras sensor :frown:, which means I can't really get my pictures any better (in this type of situation, where as if it were my fault, I could have fixed my technique or something).

P.S. now that I look at it again, yeah I do see square blocks in the sky on yours, those didn't show up on the other monitor I originally looked on...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.