1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A little Providence, RI

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, May 30, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    here's a little bit of Providence, Ri on a sunny Saturday preparing for "Waterfire".

You'll note the fire trays (braziers) in the middle of the river. They are lit in a ceremony at sundown from launch boats that continue to restock them throughout the evening.

There is music, and lots of strolling by the river, on the river walk.

G1 and GF1 / 20mm / and 14-45mm Kit lenses.

Providence River original Fleet building in the background

Prov_River_Fleet.

Geometry

Geometry.

RI State House

State_House.

American Express Plaza

1_AMEX_Plaza.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Building

Blue_Cross_Blue_Shield.

• Like Like x 9
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of memories there. I grew up in Fall River and went to grad school at Brown. I always liked Providence.

3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    When were you in Providence last?

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    About six years ago. I was showing my daughter around Brown.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A very pleasant series Alan ... (I think Mary Lou will enjoy recovering in RI for two months).

6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think we've talked before.

Where do live now?

Did your daughter attend Brown?

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Will we get some shots after the fires are lit? That could make for most interesting imaging! :smile:

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi jim,

I'll try to make a point of attending Waterfire this summer and shooting the river when it's lit up...

it's actually very beautiful..

Thanks, Alan

9. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Great shots. Are these single frames? They look a little HDR but not too HDR if that makes any sense.

10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Tom,

Yes. These are all single shots. No HDR, without sufficient advance warning from me....:biggrin:

Alan

11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    It has been a while since I've been there - I used to go up to Newport for meetings a lot back in the 80's and early 90's. Lovely area. Spent some time in Providence but found it a nice area.

12. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Hi Alan,

Great vantage points. Just one slight correction - that's now the Citizens Bank Plaza. :smile: Nice little Cafe (Nuovo) in there as well if you're ever looking for a quick appetizer - good stuff. They turn the back of the lobby (the one facing RISD buildings) into a banquet hall on occasion.

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Richard,

PRovidence has undergone very significant change since the mid 80's. Waterplace park was created via the complete removal of the "Canal Street Bridge" which was more of a giant cap than a bridge. The entire river, through all of downtown, was covered.

Mayor Buddy Cianci (See Prince of the City) wanted to restore downtown to it's early days when citizens strolled the Promenade on the weekends. It was an enormous undertaking.

For those who remember the Providence of the 60's, 70's early 80's it's a breathtaking change.

Cheers, Alan

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Covey22,

Like the rest of us here in New England I navigate by "the old name" of the building or property :biggrin:

As in, go down this street to where the Rapoza farm used to be, then turn left and go to where Cumberland Farms used to be... keep going straight to the old ball field.... I'm sure you know exactly what I mean:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Local Directions

Alan,

I know it all too well. I remember my wife's uncle giving us directions by mills that had long been burnt down and Dunkin Donuts franchises (fortunately those never move or go out of business!) when we both moved onto the mainland - we still ended up in CT. That was about the time that the ubiquitous Arrow Maps books I saw in all the Cumbys started to really become a good investment (this was pre- personal-GPS times).

Waterfire is a good bookend to this series you have. BOLO (be on the lookout) for the guy dressed in all white in a sort of jester outfit, he's on one of the gondolas that precedes the boats that ignite all the braziers - he tosses flowers out every so often. I'm still trying to figure out if he's part of the show or not, but the gondola looks legit...

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Covey22,

Thanks for the term, braziers. The word kept slipping my mind, and I nearly called them Hibachis...

PS. I like the "plan" in your sig.

17. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Alan,

(I'm back after a loooong absence! :biggrin:)

Coincidentally, I was in Providence last Sunday - my brother's graduation from Brown. Yay! It was a very good day for celebration - perfect weather, good food, good friends. (Though my bro in law swears the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse serves better steaks here in Boston).

Anyway, I seldom catch that "perfect" sunset light, but here's my effort at it - with the braziers, of course. :smile:

5782559826_2277d67a23_z.
    Providence RI @ Sunset