A little E-P1 love...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jun 16, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just got my first E-P1. WOW! It isn't nearly as bad as so many say! It feels great, is fast enough, and fits in nicely with my E-P3 and E-PL2. If I'd say ANYTHING negative, it is that the screen is a bit coarse.

• Like Like x 3
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Curious as to why you decided to go "retrograde"? Wanting to enjoy the experience of the classic? I've felt that tug on occasion, but I've reined myself in...

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...because it was $150 and in perfect condition with 4 batteries. An impulse buy from our m4/3 classifieds.

4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I love the E-P1 much more after the latest firmware update and sticking to newer MSC lenses (14-42 IIR, 12mm, and 45mm) with faster AF. My E-P1 isn't as fast to focus as my E-P3 but it's reasonably quick and the image quality is largely the same as the E-P3 so I feel fine going back and forth between the two.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've been favouring my E-P1 over the G3 lately. It's just so nice to use and now I've finally got zone focusing sorted out (why did it take me this long!!) the AF lag doesn't bother me.

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Ah, I understand that! Just wondered about how it "fit in" with the cameras you have, i.e., when might you opt for the E-P1 in lieu of the others?

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I grabbed an E-P3 as an impulse buy, couldn't pass up $425 with three batteries. That gives me three bodies now, but I just can't bring myself to sell the E-P1. I like the look, the feel - for me it's a classic. I'll let my daughter use it if she wants but it's definitely a keeper for me. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I just used the E-P1 and my two boys' Summer football camp. It worked flawlessly and was certainly fast enough. I'll post a few pics later. I used the 14-42R and 40-150R, AF was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    SHRed you are on a buying spree! Saw you snag that great E-PL2 deal as well.

The E-P1 was my first entry into :43:, and despite the fact that I now have the PL-1 and P2, I still use it a lot, especially with the Oly 17 and 45. I love the solid build and feel of the body, it really reminds me of my Olympus Pen F half frame 35mm. Every now and then I wonder whether I should sell it, but I am very sentimental about my cameras, and do love it.

IMG_3495.JPG P5232197.

Congrats on getting a "classic". :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yeah, I only wanted the VF-2 and kit zoom, but took the kit. Once in hand, I'll post the E-PL2 body.

Now to find a VF-1!

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Glad the ep1 still gets some love. Still the best looking camera IMO and the IQ is as good as anything from Olympus up til the omd. If the af doesn't bother you not a lot of reasons to upgrade!

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Keep in mind, there is NO expiration date on this camera, it's still capable of producing "Exhibit Quality" photo's.

13. lurkerM

lurkerM New to Mu-43

May 10, 2012
    Central FL
    I just got an E-P1 kit with the 17mm and VF-1 for $350 shipped. I was planning on cannibalizing the kit to use the 17mm/VF-1 on my E-PM1, and get an extra battery and charger as a bonus.

However, I have been using the E-P1 more than my Mini since I got the kit. It's a fun camera.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yep, those sub-$300 brand new E-P2s keep talking to me too! :redface:

15. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i want one...as my spare body someone is selling it to me for around 200 dollars. its in mint condition. haha need to saveup

16. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I snagged a new E-p2 body from Cameta for $229 a month ago- crazy! Looking forward to 2014 when the E- M5 will be selling for that price. :)

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin:.....

• Like Like x 2
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I put the 17mm on it today and I CAN see the difference in AF speed vs. my E-P3 and even E-PL2. Not bad mind you, but very noticeably slower in that it racks forward and back to focus each time. Still love it though... hell, I'm slower too!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    It's still faster than I can focus an OM2 :wink:

20. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I started with an E-PL1 kit and then saw the sub-$250 E-P2 body and took the plunge. Although the E-PL1 is more capable in many ways, I prefer the E-P2, it just looks and feels more substantial. Since the E-P1s are so similar in form factor I can see why people tend to keep them.

I used a Pentax K1000 as my primary camera for over 20 years in spite of the advances in auto-exposure and the advent of auto-focus. The old manual camera may have been slower but I couldn't get away from the "look and feel" of a metal bodied classic, and my images did not suffer, so the E-P2 will be my primary m43 camera for a long time (my wife will love the E-PL1).