1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured A Lightning Show and Fireworks Show Over Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dmcgrew, Jul 5, 2018.

1. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow.. what a night this was!! @ijm5012@ijm5012 and I planned to meet up on the West End Bridge which would give us a perfect vantage point for the fireworks. I planned to get there a little early to get a good spot for the fireworks and a thunderstorm happened to plop itself right behind downtown Pittsburgh. The storm sat there for well over an hour and provided a ton of lightning the entire time. Unfortunately there was a lot of flooding again. Our area has been hit very hard in the last few weeks with flooding.

After the lightning we saw an awesome fireworks show too! The best part was we didn't even have to get rained on while shooting the lightning hahaha

Was fun shooting with you again @ijm5012@ijm5012!

Here are some of my best shots.. most are of the lightning since the wind didn't work in our favor for the fireworks. These were all shot with an EM1.2 and 12-40mm Pro.
    P7043649-Edit-Edit-watermark.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P7043646-Edit-Edit-watermark.jpg
    P7043642-Edit-Edit-watermark.jpg
    P7043631_blended-Edit-watermark.jpg
    P7043619-Edit-Edit-watermark.jpg
    P7043339-Edit-Edit-3-watermark.jpg
    P7043718-Edit-watermark.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 30
    • Like Like x 20
    • Wow Wow x 3
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Awesome shots Dustin. Yeah, it was great to get to shoot together again. It sure beats going out there for hours on end by yourself (although there were no shortage of photographers where we were, haha). That wind for the fireworks show though, lol. I honestly can't remember ever shooting from the West End Bridge, and having the wind come directly from the east like it was. Oh well, we were all in the same boat.

Great shots, glad you enjoyed yourself (I know I did). We'll have to do it again sometime here.

3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    phenomenal stuff!!! Did you use live comp for these shots?

4. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yep! Cannot say it enough times how awesome this feature is! For my lightning shots I used live comp to capture the lightning then once I got a few strikes I would take a normal photo because all of the boats in the river looked like big ugly streaks. So I'd blend in a regular photo for the bottom of the photo while keeping the live comped one for the lightning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @dmcgrew@dmcgrew , I liked when you were talking to the guy next to you about the feature and how it works, and his response was “that’s like cheating!”. Haha.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hahahaha yep! It makes it much easier, thats for sure!

7. Hi, would you please explain how you blend two photos to get one?

8. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah I can give a quick overview. I select all of my images in Lightroom, right click and go to Edit In.. Open as Layers in Photoshop. Then its a matter of trying different blends modes on each layer. I had the most luck with Lighten and Pin Light. This lets only the brightest area of the layer show.. which would mostly be the lightning bolts. I also experimented with Auto Blend Layers in photoshop which worked for some photos. Once I had the lightning looking good I merged all the layers into a smart object. At this point I have my smart object with lightning on the top layer and my bottom layer is my standard exposure without the streaky boats. I apply a mask to the top layer and mask out the streaky boats to allow the nice looking boats on the bottom layer to come through.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  9. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Wonderful images and thanks or sharing your process. I love live comp!

10. I'm not a fireworks or a night shot guy, and I still haven't tried Live Composite (WTF is wrong with me?) but the shots are awesome.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Veteran

great stuff the lightning shots are really impressive .... Go Steelers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.