1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A lens suggestion and thoughts

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Thenetfilmmaker, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Thenetfilmmaker

Thenetfilmmaker New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2015
    Anthony
    I'm looking for a secondary point of view. I'm going on a trip to destin, going deep sea fishing and sight seeing as a anniversary trip. Believe it or not the deal was my wife gets to go deep sea fishing I get to bring one of my cameras along and shoot some footage. Since I shoot a bit of stock footage and photograht. So I picked up a dirt cheap GF3 and Olympus 14-42, since I didn't want to have a few thousand worth of my canon dslr to take a dip in the ocean. (Side note: footage from the gf3 hacked with the Olympus lens got accepted by the big 3, but my gopro footage got rejected, hence the gf3).
    But to get back on track. I would like some thoughts on a second lens. My 3 favorite legacy glass for shooting video and stills are the sigma super wide II 24mm f2.8, the Nikon pre ai-k 35mm f2.0, and Nikon ai-s 50mm f1.8. I was thinking between the sigma 24, or the Nikon 50. I was leaning more toward the 50 for lower light stills along side the Olympus. The 24 while beautiful is over laping the Olympus's range. The 35 is magical and I'm considering it over the others for street shooting at the boardwalk, but it's kinda bulky and heavy on the Gf3.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Sorry for the long winded question.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You probably already know this, but the 24mm is a normal and the 50mm is a telephoto in this format. Not sure how much that will factor in.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

Is there a question in this other which of your existing legacy lenses to take with you? I looked at your website, you are not taking advantage of what m4/3 has to offer, particularly with video. Since you are holding yourself out as an expert and charging people for your expertise, I am surprised by this thread.

4. Thenetfilmmaker

Apr 9, 2015
    Anthony
    I was just looking for an outside point of view. While its easy to just jump to conclusions I also like to see how other people see things. While I may have gone about a long winded and slightly snobby way of asking what would someone choose to keep traveling light. Although I appreciate the response, it was the kick in the ass I needed to get me out of a rut. If I could pick your brain about making the most of the micro 4/3 format sometime, it may give me some much needed insight.
    M

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Take your dramanine if boats make you seasick. Last time I went fishing in the Gulf, I got so sick, I missed out on all the fishing and picture taking. Do you have an aux EVF for the GF3? Might be hard to see the LCD out on the water. Is your technique good enough to keep the footage steady on a rocking boat using a lens without OIS? Just some thoughts.

6. Thenetfilmmaker

Apr 9, 2015
    Anthony
    It's doesn't have the hot shoe, so no evf. I know the screen is a bit of a pain in extreme bright lights but covered my bases there. I have a screen loupe I never tossed out from my dslr. Although if the seas are that rough That will be the least of my worries. I do have my sea legs but it's been a while and a sail boat is much different than a fishing boat.

7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I have the Nikon Nikkor-O 35mm f2 and it's one of my favourite and most flexible legacy lenses. Very sharp, good close focus and usable wide open, which seems to be quite rare among legacy lenses. However, it is pretty big and heavy.

If had to pick one lens to take with me I'd the Nikon 35mm over any of my 50s (most of which are faster but I'd have to stop down to at least f2 to get anything usable). I don't have a legacy 24mm (I have the O25), but a maximum aperture of f2.8 isn't too much of an advantage over the 14-42.