A Leather Half Case for My New GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mohun, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I've moved from a GX1 to a GX7, selling the GX1 with its Gariz leather half case. I'd like to purchase another half case for the new GX7, noting that the Gariz GX7 half cases are around $90 on EBay. The Gariz GX1 half case worked pretty well for me, providing an improved grip and a bit of extra protection for the camera body; however, I did have to use a coin to remove the GX1 case at its bottom to change the battery and SD card.

I'd probably just buy the new GX7 Gariz half case on Ebay, but I notice that there is a competitive GX7 leather half case (brand unknown but, like the Gariz, from an Asian manufacturer) on Ebay for around $50 that has a flap that opens at the case bottom for battery and SD card replacement without having to use a coin to open the case.

Has anyone here used that "bottom flap" opening case on the GX7? How is it for usability and quality? Except for the factory Panasonic case, are there any third alternatives? (The Artisan&Artist case I used with my earlier GF1 is not made for the GX7.)

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Panasonic offers a half case and an ever ready case with removable top half. I thought about one but decided against it. I keep a small Arca-Swiss mount plate on my GX7 to facilitate quick mounting on a tripod.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  4. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    >

>I've purchased MegaGear PU leather cases for my Fuji XF1 and X10 and they've been fine. Also, is this the same case with the bottom flap that you saw on eBay?

>http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Genui...sonic+gx7+case

This is the same, bottom flap opening case as I've seen on EBay. Have you or has anyone else actually and happily used this case? I certainly like the idea of the bottom flap, but the GX1 Gariz case worked pretty well for me except for the coin-operated removal issues with SD card and battery changes, even if only once a day, and I'd buy another Gariz case if it was of better material and workmanship.

5. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    i weighed the known quality (for the GX1) of the Gariz and went for it.