A laneway culture & a classic 50mm prime.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Livnius, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Ahoy !

A few days ago I went into town and brought along a favourite lens of mine, but one that I don't use nearly enough...the Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50/1.4 I know most of these old lenses just don't compete with the top mu43 primes for sharpness and contrast, but it was actually great fun to go shooting with an old MF lens for a change.

These shots were all taken with the GX1 towards the end of business on a stunning Friday afternoon...just when all the office folk were beginning to filter out into the many alleys and laneways in Melbourne for a bite and a few drinks.

Enjoy :) ....and as per usual, C+C is appreciated.

degraves_a.

degraves_f.

degraves_b.

degraves_c.

degraves_d.

degraves_e.

• Like Like x 11
  2. As much as I would be avoiding the guy with the cigarette so that I don't have to breathe that crap in, it IS a really great image. I love the face in the top right of #1 as well.

• Like Like x 2
  3. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Great shots, I think you've captured marvellously well the atmosphere of those busy streets. Silly question, Livnius, are you very very very tall? The first two seem to be taken from way above the average height :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    These are classic!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers guys :)

Ey Slith, not so tall I'm afraid....just standing on a step ...nicely observed :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    So many people, so many expressions. Really like the shots. Even though the streets were crowded, one or two individuals stood out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Very nice. Between the property of that lens and your processing, you have developed a distinct and attractive style. Love the ciggie shot.

G

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I hate smoking, but that image really stood out. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Per your avatar ... are you Pau Gasol?

Gary

10. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Haha! No, I just happen to be somewhat dark and hairy like Pau Gasol :p And a Spaniard as well, but that's it, far off Mr Gasol's 7 feet :D

11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Love the desaturated post processing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Awesome set Livnius!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Nice choices, and I love the looks - it made me thinking of going back to Istanbul again, and the sooner the better. Then noticed it's not Istanbul after all, but I still love the set and now know another place to go figure, though a little distant from here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Great shots, thanks for sharing. Do you have a PP workflow? Looks like desaturated, maybe a bit warmed and increased blacks? It reminds me of the '300' preset for Lightroom, but far more natural looking.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Love the processing. These images have such a sense of depth to them. Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Lovely shots!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers guys, appreciate the support.

For those interested, I just applied one of the retro styles presets I like, SarahJ-retro plus all the usual NIk stuff...in this case, given the Takumar isn't as contrasty as our awesome mu43 primes so much of my PP was focussed on improving contrast and color depth, for which ColorFX is awesome.

The next time I go out for a shoot in the same place I'll take y Oly45....not so much for the optics, but for the super fast AF....I did miss quite a few interesting shotswith the MF Takumar, interesting expressions and interactions between people.....so it'll be great to have another crack at it. In saying that, I'll still hold on to my one legacy lens just because every now and then, MF is quite fun.

Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    What an interesting alley scene, very interesting. My fave is the arm with the smoking cigarette. The light and smoke interplay is very eyecatching.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I love the lighting in the last one.